Soldering Tips & Tricks 2021

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I put together a new Youtube video about soldering. What I've learned over the years. I may do a follow up to it showing various connectors like JST-XHs and some odd ball stuff that maybe people know already but if you dont this could help you. I mostly show the proper way to solder deans connectors (This is the number one reason people have issues with them imo), I show how to tin thick wires like 12, 10, and 8AWG wire, and just various other things I've picked up along the way. My best tip is the very last one in the video btw for those of you who are TLDR types :hehe:

Now I know theres some Deans haters out there and thats ok, just skip the Deans Section, the rest of it anyone could use. :)

Let me know what you guys think (Video doesn't go live until 8:45EST...its uploading to Youtube)

I put together a new Youtube video about soldering. What I've learned over the years. I may do a follow up to it showing various connectors like JST-XHs and some odd ball stuff that maybe people know already but if you dont this could help you. I mostly show the proper way to solder deans connectors (This is the number one reason people have issues with them imo), I show how to tin thick wires like 12, 10, and 8AWG wire, and just various other things I've picked up along the way. My best tip is the very last one in the video btw for those of you who are TLDR types :hehe:

Now I know theres some Deans haters out there and thats ok, just skip the Deans Section, the rest of it anyone could use. :)

Let me know what you guys think (Video doesn't go live until 8:45EST...its uploading to Youtube)

It's definitely a good video showing how to tin tip and connector and soldering. I use a lighter or mini torch. For my heat shrink. I like the bullet jig.. the liquid tape is a nice touch.👍👍👍

Interesting video Greywolf , thanks for sharing. What solder are you using?

Interesting video Greywolf , thanks for sharing. What solder are you using?
I use 63/36 rosin core solder .8mm size and soldering iron on 750F. I also have .6mm and .2mm but .8mm is just about the right size for most projects. The smaller stuff it good for really small soldering jobs but if you try and tin a piece of 12AWG wire with .2mm you have to feet a foot of the stuff into what would take 2 inches of .8mm.

Last edited:
I have a lot of thin wires to solder such as putting my on off switch back on, the biggest problem for me is how to hold it as I’m a upper left arm amputee so only have use of right arm. I have no idea what soldier is what but I have a adjustable soldering iron sim flux and solder just need to know how to do it basically

I have a lot of thin wires to solder such as putting my on off switch back on, the biggest problem for me is how to hold it as I’m a upper left arm amputee so only have use of right arm. I have no idea what soldier is what but I have a adjustable soldering iron sim flux and solder just need to know how to do it basically
I wish I had some advice for ya but I honestly have no idea how you would be able to solder with only 1 hand. Unless you can figure out how to hold the iron in your mouth but then that presents problems in and of itself. If anything springs to mind I'll pop back in the thread and let ya know but right now I'm drawing a blank.

I wish I had some advice for ya but I honestly have no idea how you would be able to solder with only 1 hand. Unless you can figure out how to hold the iron in your mouth but then that presents problems in and of itself. If anything springs to mind I'll pop back in the thread and let ya know but right now I'm drawing a blank.
Thanks for quick reply but I’ve figured out how to hold it! I’ve got a stand that I can get to touch the wires with solder in my mouth but I just don’t know how to solder them together

Thanks for quick reply but I’ve figured out how to hold it! I’ve got a stand that I can get to touch the wires with solder in my mouth but I just don’t know how to solder them together
Oh, I see! I misunderstood what you meant. Holding solder in your mouth can't be good though. Its mostly lead. They do make lead free solder but its garbage and hard to work with. The ideal solder is what they call 63/37. 63% lead and 37% tin. Whatever you use though make sure its rosin core solder.

Did my video help you understand how to solder? It wasn't exactly meant for beginners but it was meant for novices so it may have helped you. There are a lot of tutorials for beginners on youtube though. Main thing is to tin the iron everytime before using it to solder a joint and make sure your wire and connectors are all tinned before soldering them together. Oh and also the biggest trick is getting the job done using the least amount of time possible. You want to heat up the material enough to easily melt solder onto/into it but you dont want to stay on it any longer than absolutely necessary. Like the Deans connector you sometimes can heat something up enough to where you can remove the iron and still melt solder into/onto it for several seconds. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dude you rock!!!!!! I must say much respect bud!!!! do you have a vice or vice pliers? Soldering helping hands would be perfect for you. they come with 4-8 little clamps that will hold everything for you. Like the device your soldering and even the solder it self you would have to controll the wand...I'm going to give this a try when I get home in a few.. to see if it will work for you.. wouldn't want to see you get burned on your lips or face being so close... but man much respect for wanting to learn..
And I mean NO disrespect by any means bud

Hey bud so I made a very basic video for you about soldering wires and connectors.. its not the best soldering job but.. I hope you understand and see how I'm doing it. And that it helps you... as for the solder for the little wires I would use 63/37. Which is basically a very thin solder. If you don't have that Then you could use a 60/40.. either one should be a rosin core.. and the temps all depends really on what your soldering. So I would start at 650F 700F . And see if your solder melts onto tip aka TINNING. With the little wires I wouldn't go to high. As the casing will melt have a few seconds/minute.. buy here the video.. sorry I don't usually make videos.. so hope it will help you bud.. any other ?? Come back and ask...

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/roOfUy6QFlK8

Hey bud. You should look into one handed soldering guns like this...
Screenshot_20210831-023340_Amazon Shopping.jpg

As for holding the wires, I find that Bluetack works best. I have the helping hands stand with alligator clips and I hate it. The Bluetack is great. You just stick some on the bench and stick the items you are soldering into it.
Screenshot_20210831-023717_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Really hope this helps ya!

Hey bud. You should look into one handed soldering guns like this...
View attachment 131849

As for holding the wires, I find that Bluetack works best. I have the helping hands stand with alligator clips and I hate it. The Bluetack is great. You just stick some on the bench and stick the items you are soldering into it.
View attachment 131850
Really hope this helps ya!
That is cool
I want one now good thinking WICKED 🤔 👍👍

One handed soldering gun? What will they think of next?! I wonder if it works well.

I wonder if it can be used with a wide chisel tip. Also Amazon says you can control the temperature but I dont see how.

For guy that wanted to know how to position switch to solder it.. I use a few different things..from plumbers putty to a extra hand not your normal extra hand mine has been customized with a 3/16 multi flex conduit shield..so I can get any angle I might need. plumbers putt is also good . warm in up in your hand the get a mini mountain press your victim in solder away. I use a 60/40 rosin core (water clean up) solder. got a 10 lb spool off ebay back when Ebay 1st came to all 94 ish

GREY thanks for a correct solder video seen a toon of very bad 1's...by far the best ..