small block off-road engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm looking to get my little brother into rc monster trucks and i have an old t-maxx thats beat to heck but still works (except for the engine) I'm looking to find an engine that is an easy break-in, easy tune, and easy to maintain, engine with some power. any ideas? it would really help if it was a good beginner motor, as i am still new to all of this also.

I'm guessing it has the traxxas .15 in it. I'd upgrade to the 2.5, still a Traxxas engine, but a lot more dependable and easier to keep in tune.

no, I'm not sure what motor it is that i have. its an aftermarket motor thats just a peice of crap. it wont run at all and I've done all i can think of. i want to keep the size small because he doesn't need a ton of power because he needs to learn how to drive it, but i want it to have enough so that he can actually have some fun with it.

I'm back to the 2.5. No adapting, basically a drop in replacement, and an all around dependable engine for bashing. If you're looking for something small and cheap, you'll pay in the long run with breakdowns and lack of enjoyment.

Any OS engine (.12-15) would be suitable, hell, even an OS.18TZ would be nice and then throw it into a Revo in the future when the T-maxx gets tired.

An OS .18TM with Maxx Manifold is a direct drop-in. I've been told they have unreal power.

Before we tell you 10 different engines that might work, tell us more about what you have.

Is it a side exhaust or rear exhaust? Is it a slide carb or rotary carb?

Answer those two and it will narrow the field quite a bit one way or the other.

The 2.5 maxx is a rear exhaust with a slide carb. The old 15 maxx is a side exhaust rotary carb.

In either case, OS has you covered with a couple great engines. For the side exhaust/rotary carb, the 18CV-R(X) would work really well. For the rear exhaust/slide carb, the 18TM would work easiest.

Both are great engines and are long life, easy to tune engines with much more power than their Traxxas equivalent.

With any engine, an upgraded pipe almost always helps with performance and reliability. But, if your trying to get going the easiest/cheapest, figure out what you have and let us know.

well I'm not exactly sure because i havent looked at the thing in a while, but i think its a side exauhst rotary carb, the reason I'm getting this is because the engine i had crapped out (i bought the truck off a kid for 50 because he was using it for parts) and now i want to give it to my little bro for a training truck with not to much power but enough to keep him happy when he learns how to drive it. plus all of the other stuff i said earlier.

ill go and double check that engine for the exauhst and carb.

its a side mount exauhst with a roto-carb

and no thanks on the .12, its a little too small