Sloooow computer

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4u2nv

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
My computers Virus scanner thing expires this month, so I got a new one before the old one ran out. Anyway, I installed it to how it said (Its not rocket science) but ever since I installed the new one, my comp has been running REALLY slow. It shows I dont have any spyware, and no virus's, but still super slow. I'm kinda a computer moron, so I figured Id ask some of ya why this is. My comp wasn't this slow last time I installed it, and also was alot faster until I installed this. I did have to delete the old one from the hard drive, so It should take the same space as the last one.. Anyone ideas?

Which anti-virus you running. I have tried Norton, McAfee, and NOD32.

NOD32 is the best in my book, it takes up less memory then the others.

Sounds like it's doing on-the-fly scanning using Heuristics. If it's norton or mcaffee, no wonder. Go grab a copy of Grisofts' AVG - it's free, and runs nicely on any computer (even an old pentium 75mhz). I use it, and install it on all my clients' pcs (that don't have antivirus software).

Get all of the first one uninstalled? I have Norton still running on mine. When it came up for renewal, I downloaded AVG. Now I just disable Norton.

Also do you have a firewall? Maybe something connecting that you don't know about? I have zonealarm. Was a free download. Think I got it from here http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/ You could do a search on it.

I also got a download called "winpatrol" from here. http://www.geekstogo.com/ It stops programs from starting up that you don't use. I just disabled programs I was sure of.
I'm not a computer guru, but hope I gave you a couple of ideas. :cheers:

AVG is good and another free one I use is Avast. Completely free and runs well, catching email and web based viruses. I use Avast on all four of our computers. For firwall I use XP's built in version plus the firewall in my router...

i second the avg antivirus & winpatrol..

winpatrol has saved my ass a few times not leting a program load / start up