slipper pegs or 12

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul11277

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have the trx 2.5 engine and a 72 tooth spare gear should i use 6 pegs or 12. It has 12 in at the minute but i just bought a new one with 6 pegs in. Also the one i swapped had 6 pegs in but i read that 12 is better so i put 12 in. Have i done the right thing what would be the difference in performance if any?

you can also use balls in stead of the pegs.

back when i had a tmaxx the balls were the big thing to use.
dont know what size though, never tried it. they were balls out of ball bearings. or something like that.
I'm sure someone here knows

Stick with the 12 pegs in your slipper for now. You will get more grip with 12 than 6.
Later on you can look into upgrading to a better slipper setup.

yhea 12 for sure!! some say six but thats BS. You might want to upgrade to pads, I did ang its nice.

12 gives you a slipper that gives you more control out of slippage. It also has a tendency to last longer due to less slipping.

I found that with 6 pegs, you had to keep it pretty tight to avoid constant slipping.

i've been running 6 in mine and havent seen any major issues but I plan to go to 12 but I dont have enough pegs for all of my trucks right now so I have them divided up...

its a good idea to check when you get a new truck to make sure the PO had installed pegs...I burned up a spur gear by not checking...but that was a stupid n00b mistake on my end

can someone post up a lil more information on the different options...i'm still green here and thought pegs were the only way... pads seem to be more logical...

I run all mine locked all the way down. huuum, no wonder I have tranny and diff issues!:yes:

man thats the first time I have heard of doing that. ^^^^^

man thats the first time I have heard of doing that. ^^^^^

its not that uncommon? A few here run theres locked like me,and another forum only believes in locked slippers.

Where you at in cashville? Want to bash sometime.

Last edited:
Can someone post up all the different options? I would like to go pads since every has said that they are better but dont know anything about them

Well... to go with "pads" you need to get a non-stock spur/slipper setup. You can either go with the 3.3 maxx spur/slipper setup, traxxas makes a conversion for the 2.5 maxx.

RRP (robinson racing products) also makes a couple dual pad slippers. They were around way before the 3.3 type traxxas slipper assembly was around. Back when the maxx pro .15 existed. They have a Steel spur type and a Plastic spur type. I think if you run steel, you should also buy an RRP hardened CB or the hard steel spur will chew up your stock CB in short order.

Any one of these is a good choice to go with for extreme durability.

I guess 12 slipper pegs it is then. I am interested in the pads but think i might wait till i need to do some work on that part of my truck. Have just had to replace almost the entire front end due to my fail safe failing on me. Would be interested to hear more about the ball bearings z400 talked about earlyer in this thread though. I would not have thought bearings would work to good. But hey I'm new and spend more time fixing it then driving it lately.

Well if I aint mistakin, remember I run mine locked. But I believe its a quarter turn out by the book? I may be mistakin but almost sure.

even on my slipper setup I was goimg to do 1 turn.my shock are leaking on the right side both front and rear, why do ya think/ Theyare not old, maybe 6or 8 months qng have not been used much.

I think 1 turn out is going to melt the center of the spur from so much slipping,as for maxx shocks. I use traxxas aluminum bigbores with Ti shafts,stocks arent the best and wont take much abuse especially if you are running a heavier than stock oil in them.

I have big bore MIP ti shocks. Just to see if that makes a difference. Also I have 50 wgt oil all around. But it has never leaked so I bought more oil and I ll check it out.