Sledge upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partsmgr

RCTalk Racer
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Got the Hobbywing Max 8 G2 and 2250kv motor today. I have a question for those who know more than I. I use traxxas batteries. Should I solder traxxas plugs on the ESC or will plug adaptors work as well?

I would solder a Traxxas plug on the ESC as it offers a more direct connection. I have some reasons that I don't use adapters. (I still use adapters in my bashers, soon will be soldering new connectors). Adapters might be the problem to an issue, more heat, and more resistance. I opt for a direct connection so yes solder on a Traxxas plug on the ESC. I would of said solder a new plug on the ESC and battery. But you cannot on the battery due to the Traxxas ID system for the charger.

Thought I had read somewhere that using adaptors could create heat through resistance of the added connectors.

Thought I had read somewhere that using adaptors could create heat through resistance of the added connectors.
Yep that's it. You don't want the connectors or adapters getting hot and actually melting the connection, connectors ect. I seen this happen a few times with deans and Traxxas plugs.

Is there some trick to get the Traxxas radio program the ESC?

Is there some trick to get the Traxxas radio program the ESC?
I'm a bit confused here.
Re calibrating the esc? Yea just hit the button on the esc. Nuetral, throttle, reverse, sounds n lights from the motor, and its recalibrated.

If your talking about programing, no, traxxas esc's aren't even programable. Lol. They just have like 3 different modes and everything else is preset. Its dumb. Thats one reason I do not use traxxas electronics.

If you have the TQi and use the BT module, link it up to your phone. You can change rx/tx settings, but not esc, I'm pretty sure.

I have followed the procedure to the letter. The ESC will not recognize the throttle. Servo works fine. I hold the set, turn on the ESC get a red flash then the ESC and motor start flashing red and clicking. Press the set button again and nothing after that. I pull the throttle press set, nothing same with reverse. I have verified ESC is plugged in correctly and even reversed it just to see what happens.

Nevermind, I had a Spectrum and it programmed the ESC with no issues.

I would contact Traxxas. They will help you big time.If they can't they will determine if the ESC needs replacement. :rolex:

Took it out for a test run this evening. WOW! I have to learn how to drive it all over. Completely different experience.

Good for you. I have a Sledge and love it. I don't jump it like on YouTube. :thumbs-up:

That's the reason I bought it, to jump and do flips. None of that crazy stuff like youtube though.

What's wrong with the crazy stuff on YouTube? Jumping is fun! Also why I have an extensive spare parts collection.

I don't mind jumping. But launching the machine to the clouds seems kinda silly to me, is all I'm saying.

I guess there is a point where it just becomes destructive. I try to stay just south of that line 😀.

That's why we buy em. To run em as we see fit. I have no problem sending them to the moon. But I don't have to. 🤙 With that said, I don't have a sponsor to replace the parts that I destroyed because I want to show off on YouTube. Oh look at me, see what I can do. Yea, no. To me my Models, are projects. The more I put in, the more I get out. But I treat them with a certain amount respect. Buy a Felony and see how much tires cost. So I don't smoke em. Saw that on YouTube. Looked neat. But I wont do it. :cool: :hyperbuggy:

Last edited:
What's wrong with the crazy stuff on YouTube? Jumping is fun! Also why I have an extensive spare parts collection.
Nothing wrong with it. I don't have anywhere to really air out my trucks. With the new power train I'm having to learn how to drive it all over again. Now it take some skill to keep it out of the trees.:eek:

I love the Sledge. It's a neat platform. I just really have not run it, I needed do to chores around the house. :mad: I ran a couple Batteries. Its fast and has some nut to it. It's a nice truck.

I guess there is a point where it just becomes destructive. I try to stay just south of that line 😀.
I used to love gokartking45. He abused his tmaxx alot. Wish I had that kind of area to run!
I love the Sledge. It's a neat platform. I just really have not run it, I needed do to chores around the house. :mad: I ran a couple Batteries. Its fast and has some nut to it. It's a nice truck.
It can help you mop, push mow, and sweep. 🤔🤔