Slash 4x4 center diff

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrClean

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So if I understand correctly from what I've read, the center diff replaces the slipper clutch right? I don't race, so what the pros and cons?

If you only bash I wouldn't use the center diff the slipper is a better option. However, if you decide to get into racing it can help you tune the truck. It can be filled with different diff fluid. The diff gives you the ability to tune the transfer of power between the front and rear diff. It can help you get through turns quicker and helps with making the truck faster on rough tracks. I've heard of people having issues with the center diff when used with higher than 2S lipos.... Just as an FYI...

Sorry to highjack, but is it a universal mod...can I do it to one of my savages?

If you only bash I wouldn't use the center diff the slipper is a better option. However, if you decide to get into racing it can help you tune the truck. It can be filled with different diff fluid. The diff gives you the ability to tune the transfer of power between the front and rear diff. It can help you get through turns quicker and helps with making the truck faster on rough tracks. I've heard of people having issues with the center diff when used with higher than 2S lipos.... Just as an FYI...

Oh yeah the handling is much better. I just took my slipper off and did the diff and it improved it by far. I also just did the LCG chassis on my slash and its made a big difference.
But like stated above its only good for racing.

There are advantages and disadvantages. You can never get the kind of true 4WD power transfer with a center diff that you will with a solid shaft, so as mentioned, for bashing, a center diff will be a handicap.

On the other side, just as with 1:1 scale vehicles, AWD with a center diff or viscous coupler is going to behave much better in turns than a true 4WD-especially tight turns. All true 4WD vehicles will hop when in a very hard turn on high traction surfaces, as things are binding up. On loose surfaces, you just don't notice it because the tires are slipping. They will also never turn as tight, all else being equal. Some full time 4WD vehicles have two modes of operation (full time and part time) to aid with this, and the full time setting will allow differentiation between the front and rear drive shafts to allow AWD-like handling characteristics.

Comparing my Prolite 4x4 (solid shaft, true 4x4) with my OFNA Ultra LX comp (denter diff), the contrast is very apparent. The OFNA does much better in tight turns, but the Prolite is far more capable on rough terrain. Given that they have very similar wheel base, track width, ground clearance and tire size, this difference can be mostly attributed to the different drive systems. The Prolite is fine on a larger track, especially if it's loose. But on a hard packed clay track with tight, technical areas, it can be difficult to make the corners with the Prolite, let alone choose a good line through the turn.

Back