Skitophrenic Servo's?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilentHunterKellen

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
In my RTR Rs4 3..the throttle and steering servos get all twitchy when i turn them on. I'm sure to turn them on after the radio and i tried many diffrent crystals. But still no help. I can't drive because of the radio. My rustler works with the same crystals so I'm sure its the reciever gear. The radio i use for my rusty and my rs4. Any help would be much appreciated!
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Sounds like glitching. There could be many causes. First, check to make sure your batteries are fresh. That may cause inconsistent signal. If they're ok, make sure the antennas are both intact. If that's ok, then it's that arduous task of looking for the big culprit. Metal to metal contact. When 2 pieces of metal rub, they send out RF interference. And if there are any places on the car where metal is moving over metal, glitching can occur.

Thanks Ill check later.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

If you have any CF you will need to isolate the antenna wire from it.
Make sure the antenna on your TX is all the wat screwed in and up all the way.
Candy pretty much covered it all.

TX is fine..i use if fo my rusty..works perfect! Must be Reciever...
[move]-Kellen[/move]

I've got the same thing happening on my Maxx, since I put a few upgrades in. Can you elaborate on this metal to metal contact theory? Like, if my engine mount screws are loose for example, will that cause interference? It only seems to happen to my throttle/brake servo. My antenna's and batteries are fine. I think it may be the AE pipe I put on come to think of it. It's the only part I changed from plastic to metal, and it never did this before. It happens when it's running or not, sitting on my bench.

Me 2 but mine is All Stock. When i push my car by my rusty...it doesn't interfere with the rusty's RX and TX. I'm pissed cuz when its just sitting there...it goes full throttle sometimes! I'm scared to drive it becuase it might hit a car or something!:nuke:
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Yeah, I hear ya! I think i've found my problem though, so hopefully this can give you an idea what to look for too.

In the latest issue of RC Nitro, there's an article on the correct way to install radio gear. In it, they talk about 'glitching', and how to avoid it. They say to make sure there's a gap between your (exhaust) pipe and your header. I had no idea it would cause problems if you didn't leave a gap!

Since the AE pipe I just put on was longer than the stock pipe, and I haven't gotten a new header yet, I had to slip the pipe over the header to get it to fit in by my receiver. No wonder I'm getting interference. Seems like common sense now, but that's what they say about 20-20 hindsight. I'm gonna go fix it right away, and I'll let you know how it turns out.

You got that right!

And if you really take the time to think about all the possibilities of metal to metal vibration on your ride, you will go NUTS!

Just try to minimize it as much as possible since you can't really completely eliminate it. :doh:

I already went nuts. I took out all of my D-Bones and made sure they fit nice and snug. Next, I tightened every scew imaginable. After that, i make all the throttle and brake and steering linkages tighter by adding springs. Could there be something else? Internal engine problems?
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Did you very slowly inspect all your wires? Usually, when I can't easily identify it, I will pull the servos, rx and battery pack right out. Inspect for a small part shielding missing from a wire somewhere.

Also, do you use a failsafe? Take it out completely and try running without it.

If running a failsafe, do you use a 6v pack?

Another item to always look at once youve done everything else, is the switch itself. They are prone to breakage also, just never thought about as being the problem.