Sirio .18 sticks at TDC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okihost

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
Some of you may remember when I got a used maxx and was asking about the sirio .18 because I could not get it to run well it turns out after I pulled the engine and took the head off there is all kinds of dirt particles in the piston/sleeve area and for some reason it is almost impossible to get it to turn when at TDC, it moves nice and smooth the rest of the way up and down but always gets stuck there for some reason. A rebuild kit is about $125.00 from what I have found online but I am wondering if there is anyway to save it? Never took or cleaned an engine before.

Also what is the best stuff to clean your engine off with? I don't have an air compressor near me and a paper towel and q-tips don't seem to work well either.

BTW the dude I got the engine from was not from RCNT he was from a car forum I visit so I will never again buy anything without them having some feedback my wants came before being practicle and it bit me in the ass this time so I won't let it happen again.

There may be dirt particles, but it is normal to stick at TDC, especially with high-end Italian mills.

So why do you think it will not pull on the pull start? I pulled off the pull start and it pulled fine until I attached it back to the motor and then it gets stuck at TDC unless I manually turn the flywheel hard.

Maybe it isnt broken in all the way? Sticking at TDC means that it isnt broken in all the way, and it still has a good pinch. When that heats up, everything expands, and it all works.

you took the head off and there was dirt in the sleeve?????
if so you need to clean it good...and check the walls of the sleeve for scars....if there's no scars your good if it still sticks at TDC......like rc said it means you're not fully broken in yet......just remember to bring the piston to BDC after running it.....

Well the dirt seems to have just been at the top of the piston, I am going to clean it off and install it again and see if I can get it running, there did not seem to be any scars at all in the sleeve.

What is the easiest way to clean an engine off? I can get the guy who owned it before me did not really take good care of it so I am going to strip the entire thing down and I was not sure what is best to clean off the engine itself.

after you break it all down you can just get a clean toothbrush and use your fuel to scrub all the parts and then reassemble it & throw some ARO in the mill if it's going to sit for a while.....DA or nitro blast works too.....WD-40 but you have to lube it all up before reassembly.....

okihost said:
Well the dirt seems to have just been at the top of the piston, I am going to clean it off and install it again and see if I can get it running, there did not seem to be any scars at all in the sleeve.

What is the easiest way to clean an engine off? I can get the guy who owned it before me did not really take good care of it so I am going to strip the entire thing down and I was not sure what is best to clean off the engine itself.

Sounds like burnt/dried up oil from the fuel. If you have the engine stripped with the piston and sleeve out of the block then some carburettor/throttle body cleaner designed for 1:1 engines should clean it up. Careful with that stuff, it usually contains xylene and can be quite unpleasant if it gets splashed on your bare skin.

Back