Silicone Grease on plastic gears

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuChu

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi,

On the diff I used Tamiya Ceramic Grease as in manual. Unfortunately I had to strip down gearbox once again, to change poor quality bearings for Tamiya ones.

I wanted to grease plastic gears once again. In the shop I found only Tamiya Ball Diff Grease, so I used it on gears.

Summary:

Diff gears: Tamiya Ceramic Grease
Plastic gears: Tamiya Ball Diff Grease

I know that it is pure silicone, so should be ok, because Traxxas sells Silicone grease as all around gearbox thing.

Just to confirm. Can I live with that, till next service?

Tamiya Racing Fighter.

Hi,

On the diff I used Tamiya Ceramic Grease as in manual. Unfortunately I had to strip down gearbox once again, to change poor quality bearings for Tamiya ones.

I wanted to grease plastic gears once again. In the shop I found only Tamiya Ball Diff Grease, so I used it on gears.

Summary:

Diff gears: Tamiya Ceramic Grease
Plastic gears: Tamiya Ball Diff Grease

I know that it is pure silicone, so should be ok, because Traxxas sells Silicone grease as all around gearbox thing.

Just to confirm. Can I live with that, till next service?

Tamiya Racing Fighter.
I've never used silicone grease myself but I would think it would be fine to use.

I use syliglide grease from Napa ,it is silicon grease that can with stand 600 deg temps
an will not freeze ,shrink or harden!
I use it in my MT diffs & my 5th scale Baja trans!..:cool::thumbs-up:

Plastic gears do not need grease, they are considered a "self lubricating" product that will wear and need to be replaced over time. Metal to metal gears should be greased if they are enclosed, but in many 1/8 cars that use both a steel spur and steel pinion will not be greased.

Generally sealed diffs should use diff fluid for tuning purposes. I don't believe the DT03 has sealed diffs, there is no need to put grease on the gears as shown in the installation manual... I run the TT01 which has identical diffs and I never apply grease on those gears.

I use a white lithium grease from Lucas Oil for all my sealed metal gears as well as the rubber seals in my diffs and shocks to prevent leaks. I will periodically inspect my bearings by removing the rubber seals and the first hint of the grease turning black I will flush with WD40 Dry Lube and pack with the same white lithium grease using a syringe with a very thin layer just to coat the balls.

Last edited:
Back