Shock Oil Blends

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConGear

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
:n00bie:

Like to say hi to all

I'm New To this sport

Not new to fast things

can we use any shelf oil in our shocks

Or must we use the hobbie shop stuff

Thanks Dudes

Con:shrug:

Welcome ConGear!

I would definitely use a silicone-based shock oil made for that purpose.

Tell us a bit more about your RC and how/ where you drive it and we can help you select a weight that will work well for you.

-Ed

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Thanx ED

I stock 9 brands of oil

can i use any of these

:help:
:shrug:

What brands? Is it an off road vehicle or an on road? What are the weights of th shock oil you own. Welcome.

:alarm:

I Stock synthetic motor and diff oils

Sounds like I can't use any of these

AIMS Mobil Lakewood Bla Bla Bla

What is so special about shock oil
:ahh: :ahh: :ahh: :ahh:

Thanxs Bros

Shock oil or silicone is designed to be used in shocks (no kidding, right?). The real speciality of the oil comes in the specifications of weight or viscosity. Knowing this information allows a person to fine tune their shock set-up.

Could you use any old oil? I suppose an arguement could easily be made in the positive, but I would ask why not just spend the five bucks or whatever it costs to get something you are certain will be work, has been tested and is proven to work?

So, can you use motor oil? Can you use differential oils? Can you use household oil? Can you use ...? I guess the answer is yes. The only thing I would caution is that some oils have additives that are not rubber or silicone seal friendly. These oils might eat the o-rings and seals that keep the oil within the cylinder of the shock. That would kind of defeat the purpose.

So, go for it. Let us know how it works.

Any silicone based oil from 10weight to 100weight will work fine :thumbup:

I guess I should have been more forthcoming with my post.
I was combining it with the post above mine that recommended you use hobby shock oil.

If you would like to let us know the RC you have and where you plan on running it we can help you select the proper weight range of silicon shock oil that will be best for you.

-Ed

Back