Servos????? (Pulling my hair out deciding)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james4302

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well guys I need 2 to 3 servo's. 2 for my 1/8 th scale buggy one for steering and 1 for throttle. 1 for my revo for (steering) Preferrably airtronics because of the speed anyone that has any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a JR XS3 radio and 2 JR RSs300 recievers(one for the Revo and one for the Lightning)

And where is the cheapest place to find them???? thanks

My Bro Zandor gave good suggestions. I have those on my Tmaxx and Once on my PCR. There will always be preferred brands but JR, Airtronics and Futaba top em for my list.

You can check servos here at SERVO CITY

Good luck but the cheapest I have seen servos are on EBAY.

Jon :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
The one listed up at tower are wayyy to slow for me in the steering department!

If you want the one of the best out there for you high$$ bug and radio, go with Airtronice 357(throttle) and 358 (steering) these will last you a lifetime.

GO HERE For the best prices! They cost a little more but you will be very happy, thats all I run in my SM and XB8 And XXX-NT

I run the Hitec 625, and 645 on my buggy, and the 645, and JR270 for throttle on my T-Maxx. Seems to work good for me. I'm sure there is better out there, but imo you can't beat it for the price.

when you get time look at the ko new servo's

PDS-2363/2364

http://www.kopropo.com/servos.htm

the holding power is super.

and here is some info from the Ko rep.

We have come out with a new system for our digitals (PDS-2343/2344) to avoid this problem of FET/motor failers due to incorrect settings or linkage lock. One of the new features of our new programmable servo offers a protection timer. What this funtion does is powers down the servo by 25% so that it does not blow out, due to overloads and linkage locks. Once the load comes down, the servo powers back up. Easy way to save yourself a trip to the service department.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23159&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

got to the bottom of this page and read it all.

this is what sold me.
What this funtion does is powers down the servo by 25% so that it does not blow out, due to overloads and linkage locks.

I run the 625 (throttle)/645 (steering) in my buggy and they are pretty good servos.

I also used to run a 625 for steering in my XXXT and then I went to an Airtronics 357. I don't think I'll ever go back to Hitec again (except maybe to try out their new Titanium servos). The Airtronics servo was just so much better than the Hitec servo. The Hitecs are great economy servos, but for racing or more performance, I would go with Airtronics.

For steering, I would get the Airtronics 358 (200oz) servo. For throttle/break, the Airtronics 357 would be great.

Also, check out Ultimatehobbies.com for good prices. They are on sale at Ballistic right now, normal price is higher than Ultimate by a few bucks.

Last edited:
Don't buy the HiTec 645, my new 645 just stop making any responsive and becoming low-torque after 1 hour of buggy usage :boxing:

That's the first time I've heard a complant about a 645, or Hitec in general for that matter. Is it brand new? Only an hour? I'd talk to Mario about that one.

fr888 said:
Don't buy the HiTec 645, my new 645 just stop making any responsive and becoming low-torque after 1 hour of buggy usage :boxing:
Are you using ALkalines or a 6V Rx pack. My Maxx has the 645 and dang its has torque to turn for days. I thought that my servo was near dead but noticed that my Pillow balls were gummed up since I spray it down with DA after each run. I learned that my cleaning skills were not as cool as I thought. After cleaning out the dirt in the steering knuckles, it turned freely.

check for binding first and check your batteries. You may be just be having a voltage issue.

Jon :cheers:

fr888 said:

My digital servos only lasted about an hour, maybe like 1.5 of constant use. I was using an 1100 Mah pack. You shouldn't be burning them up that fast with analog servos. Maybe like 3-4 hours of constant run time out of the same 1100mah pack. Now of course this will differ from servo to servo but that has been my experience. If you are using akalines then that is your problem, they run hotter for shorter if you will. A Ni-Mh pack is in it for the long haul so I would really invest in one if you haven't. If you are running a Ni-Mh or Ni-cd (especially Ni-cd) I would think the battery might be old or damaged. Maybe it is only like 700-800 mah I have seen that and those last shorter. The lower the MAH the lower the run time. Also your charger might be false peaking, where it fails to detect a peak or full charge correctly. On a side note I cannot wait until someone makes a radio box for a buggy to fit a Li-Poly for a buggy, man that would run digital servos like mad all day long!

here you go. li-poly

http://www.htbatteries.com/

going to get the one for my helios

but not for the buggy.

the airplane guys said not to run it in off road.

but this guy said it was ok to run..
so who is right i don't know
but the air plane guys have been using the li poly for many years now and just starter 3 year a go in off road.

so you pick.

Motorman007 said:
here you go. li-poly

http://www.htbatteries.com/

going to get the one for my helios

but not for the buggy.

the airplane guys said not to run it in off road.

but this guy said it was ok to run..
so who is right i don't know
but the air plane guys have been using the li poly for many years now and just starter 3 year a go in off road.

so you pick.
But I take it you have to buy the 6V regulator in order for this to work?

Motorman007 said:
when you get time look at the ko new servo's

PDS-2363/2364

http://www.kopropo.com/servos.htm

the holding power is super.

and here is some info from the Ko rep.

i run these in my mugen and have had a good run out of them as well as the hitec and futaba, futaba are up there in price though

I prefer the cheap but reliable JR 650. I can get it for 55.00 and it has a three year warranty. I ran them for a whole season in to buggies one being my sons so they got a lot of abuse and I smoked one. I sent it in and in 10 days I had a brand new one at no charge.

i saw an add for hitec's new digi titinium servos with heat sinc bodies that have pretty good specs.anyone have any opnion on these? there hsc-5996tg,5997tg,5998tg.they can be seen at www.hitecrcd.com in there new products.they claim there 5997 is perfect for both stering and throttle. :fro:

Last edited:
I am confused about digital and analog? are digital faster? better comunication with the radio? running cooler? less battery usage please elaborate... I've had some friends tell me that they wouls never own a digital servo........

james4302 said:
I am confused about digital and analog? are digital faster? better comunication with the radio? running cooler? less battery usage please elaborate... I've had some friends tell me that they wouls never own a digital servo........
people have a belief that digitals dont last and use heaps of battery, normally its cause the people that are complaining have not set them up right, ie end stop and they still have load on them in an idle position

Well Booyah, I just placed my order for 2 358 i coulden't swing all 3 of them at once thanks for the place to find them.... Everyone else wants around 150.00-180.00 thanks a bunch................James

Booyah said:
The one listed up at tower are wayyy to slow for me in the steering department!

If you want the one of the best out there for you high$$ bug and radio, go with Airtronice 357(throttle) and 358 (steering) these will last you a lifetime.

GO HERE For the best prices! They cost a little more but you will be very happy, thats all I run in my SM and XB8 And XXX-NT

Will these servos plug straight in to my JR Xs3 or do they need to be modified??? thanks.........

Back