Servo waterproofing?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
How can I waterproof a servo? It's for a Traxxas 2055 that I had laying around and I wanted to get some use out of it in my Slash which is gonna be a snow basher.

I like to use old condoms just saying and don’t buy my poop

@pug my guess would be just buying a waterproof servo. I honestly haven't heard of anybody water proofing one.
I could be wrong and if so, I hope somebody shares the process.

How can I waterproof a servo? It's for a Traxxas 2055 that I had laying around and I wanted to get some use out of it in my Slash which is gonna be a snow basher.
Open up the bottom of the servo.
Find the circuit board located in the bottom and coat it with 2-3 coats of clear acrylic quick dry nail polish like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/L-A-COLORS-Color-Craze-Nail-Polish-Rapid-Dry-Topcoat-Treatment-Clear-0-44-fl-oz/140722595?athbdg=L1600 conformal coating linked below by @WickedFog
Once the coating dries put the board back into the case and pack the bottom with marine grease.
Open the top of the servo case and pack it with marine grease.
Reassemble servo.

This will protect your servo for running in the snow or rain. Do note it might not help if the car becomes fully submerged in water.

Some guys just do the marine grease then coat the servo case in liquid tape, plasti dip or flex seal but that looks like complete crap imho.

I actually use that LA colors top coat to waterproof all of my receivers, because there is a creak on the other side of one of the turns at our local homemade rc track. I've only dumped 2 of my cars in it so far.

That being said a waterproof servo is $20 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/ZOSKAY-Waterproof-Standard-Digital-Control/dp/B07GLMDJQ7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=H2KFSB04PF6W&keywords=ds3225mg&qid=1647123618&sprefix=ds3225mg,aps,121&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVk9XSzBXRFFUWThDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDcwMjg1QVoyREk5TjExNUFMJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNTAyMDIyV0c5WEtVMEVLMFJTJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Last edited:
Ca glue all cracks, top thin plate, mid box, and lower part where the saver goes. Thats how we used to.

If its in heavy water, maybe grease around servo saver?

I used the condom method for the old am reciever.

I also heard of coating the circuit board, never did that route.

I like white grease

Be honest all electronic stuff I use is very expensive. From hot dogs to all ur pins male/female. Just for the crimp gun $800. But end of the day it will last a life time if you do it right
Doich if I spelled that right

I managed to find a brand new servo in my house, it's waterproof so I will use it.

I managed to find a brand new servo in my house, it's waterproof so I will use it.
You got a good house. At my house, shxt just goes missing. Never seen again. Even in the yard, it sinks into the sand. 😂🤔😮

You got a good house. At my house, shxt just goes missing. Never seen again. Even in the yard, it sinks into the sand. 😂🤔😮
I can walk into almost any room in my place and find RC stuff. My computer desk could be considered remote control based on all the RC stuff in it, on it, and around it. I went to the spare bedroom yesterday to grab a receiver I remembered seeing on my hobby bench in there. My Jato and work stand is now in the dining room lol.
20210908_185013.jpg

I can walk into almost any room in my place and find RC stuff. My computer desk could be considered remote control based on all the RC stuff in it, on it, and around it. I went to the spare bedroom yesterday to grab a receiver I remembered seeing on my hobby bench in there. My Jato and work stand is now in the dining room lol.
View attachment 143680
Consider yourself blessed. I left a $28 axial wr8 driveshaft laying on the porch. Shes gone. My room was went through, can't find a bit of my stuff. The shed and shop are the safe place, but then I gotta worry about an outsider walking off with it. Needless to say I got a wr8 in the rear and tmaxx shaft for the front.

Hell I try to beat them to the mailbox and miscount how many cars I have when asked. I only remember I have two or three for some reason. 🤔🤔 And this is at a calm before the storm time. 😐

I live in an apartment complex. When I have an expensive delivery coming, I keep my tv turned down low, and listen for any sign of a truck showing up. Every time a door shuts, I get up and look outside. Even with a sign on my door that says deliveries please knock, they still drop packages and leave. Hell, when I was still working, it was a crap shoot if I came home to a package still outside or not. But even though I am home every day now, I still get paranoid. The FedEx guys are the worst. They don't get here til later in the day, sometimes even 9pm. And they drive quiet Van's. No knock. Just drop and go. Last package they left was over $500. It was supposed to be signed for, but the FedEx driver just signed for it and left it 🤬

I live in the dirt middle of no where I’m lucky to even get mail.

I need to make a rebuttal about the clear nail polish I posted above, do not use it it does not last long. Use conformal coating like @WickedFog mentioned.
I live in an apartment complex. When I have an expensive delivery coming, I keep my tv turned down low, and listen for any sign of a truck showing up. Every time a door shuts, I get up and look outside. Even with a sign on my door that says deliveries please knock, they still drop packages and leave. Hell, when I was still working, it was a crap shoot if I came home to a package still outside or not. But even though I am home every day now, I still get paranoid. The FedEx guys are the worst. They don't get here til later in the day, sometimes even 9pm. And they drive quiet Van's. No knock. Just drop and go. Last package they left was over $500. It was supposed to be signed for, but the FedEx driver just signed for it and left it 🤬

I don't get how they are allowed to get away with that. I bought some stuff out of an online shop based out of Amsterdam, in the shipping quotes it specifies that a signature and photo id are needed upon delivery. Fedex just left the package on my porch didn't even knock. Had I not gotten the delivery confirmation text I would have never known they were even here.

Last edited: