Servo shutting off ESC.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1tenthcrawler

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Crawling
  2. Scale Builder
I've recently picked up a 9imod 45kg servo and am facing power issues with it.
I currently have a custom built Injora Crawler -
Portal axles
Metal 3 gear scx10 transmission 84t spur
550 35t motor
Hobbywing 1080
324mm extended clearance links
Dumborc X6 tx/rx.
2.2 Ruptures on 2.2beadlocks.
2s lipo.
Rig weighs approx 13.22lbs

Issue - when the servo is under load, the esc shuts off completely and I have to unplug and reconnect the lipo.
I haven't faced an issue before when I was running with a 25kg servo.

I've tried replacing the esc with a Isdt70 and still have the same issue. I swapped back to the 1080 as it has better drag brake capacity than the Isdt.

I've been reading and some guys say that this issue is a "brown out" problem caused by the rx not being able to cope with the voltage required to operate the servo. Is this true?

What seems the best solution?
Should I get a stronger tx/rx or should I get a Hobbywing Ubec?

Attachments

• IMG_20220529_161226-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220529_161226-01.jpeg
    505.2 KB · Views: 80
i would say the r/x is not able to handle the high voltage. you could replace it. by the way did this happen even if you changed the esc if the esc is faulty maybe that could cause the problem.
other people have also said that if a servo is bad this can also happen. change the servo first. if it continues than see if you can replace the rx/tx

the esc cannot supply enough amps to power servo .can servo take the 8.4 voltas a lipo can supply if so id hook it up direct to 2 cell lipo via a Y harness then white wire to rx.

i would say the r/x is not able to handle the high voltage. you could replace it. by the way did this happen even if you changed the esc if the esc is faulty maybe that could cause the problem.
other people have also said that if a servo is bad this can also happen. change the servo first. if it continues than see if you can replace the

other people have also said that if a servo is bad this can also happen. change the servo first. if it continues than see if you can replace the rx/tx
The servo is brand new. It's only when the servo is under load the esc shuts off.
I've tried another esc and the issue still persists.
Trying to see if anyone has done an external bec to solve this issue.
the esc cannot supply enough amps to power servo .can servo take the 8.4 voltas a lipo can supply if so id hook it up direct to 2 cell lipo via a Y harness then white wire to rx.
As per the specs of the servo, it only mentions 6v and .4v.
I'll try to Programm the esc to 6v and see if it works. If not then I'll order a connector to power it direct to the battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220614_082908.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614_082908.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
The servo is brand new. It's only when the servo is under load the esc shuts off.
I've tried another esc and the issue still persists.
Trying to see if anyone has done an external bec to solve this issue.

As per the specs of the servo, it only mentions 6v and .4v.
I'll try to Programm the esc to 6v and see if it works. If not then I'll order a connector to power it direct to the battery.
Need to get a bec for that servo. Or a direct connection to its own lipo. The 1080 should have a 7.4v max bec in it. What else is plugged into esc?? The servo is probably pulling much power. Sending the esc into over load putting into safety shut off..

Need to get a bec for that servo. Or a direct connection to its own lipo. The 1080 should have a 7.4v max bec in it. What else is plugged into esc?? The servo is probably pulling much power. Sending the esc into over load putting into safety shut off..it's a 6ch tx/rx and the only addition is a led light bar which runs at 6v or less.
Which one would more likely be of use to me, the black ubec or the blue one?

Attachments

• b1b65c3240fc6bf3cba6df9e8dc0f02f.jpg
    b1b65c3240fc6bf3cba6df9e8dc0f02f.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 38
Which one would more likely be of use to me, the black ubec or the blue one?
Personally i would pick up the castle 20amp.. but that black one should work. The blue is only 5amp max. I would pick up the black one. Do you have the specs on them both or the link to them. Will check into them more for ya bud

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220614_204609_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614_204609_com.android.chrome.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 39
i dont know why someone is saying 7.4v.. thats a volt less than that spec page you posted is saying. the ubec is a waste of money when you could have easily made a Y splitter off your battery.. you better also remove+ wire from esc to receiver before powering rc so esc dont burnup due to its own bec and the 1 you bought,

Back