Servo just died

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzanzirc

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This weekend I burnt some nitro!

On the second location where I drove, I went around a slow corner and it was like the steering stopped responding and I gently hit a curb. No damage to the car. The exhaust pipe just popped off the manifold.

But the steering servo is kaput. It's free inside. Couldn't have been a failsafe. The car was close to me. Seems perhaps the servo is just old?

This is the servo that died. Doing some googling, I see this was used in other buggys like Team Associated and Thunder Tigers.

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/teamassociated/parts/details/29126/
https://servodatabase.com/servo/ace-rc/s2008mg

20220529_191019.jpg

I have a emergency spare servo in my monster truck that I will use for now.

Also, looking at the specs of this servo and what websites recommend, this is on the slow side, and only 7.8kg torque.

Looking at replacements, would a higher torque servo (say 25kg) be a waste or beneficial? Or should I just look for a servo with the same specs. The steering was fine for me. I didn't feel it was slow or to weak.

Can I get any servo saver or are they servo or car specific?
I suspect the Hyper 7.5 has a servo saver from factory.

It wasn't the bump on the curb that broke the servo. I lost steering, THEN it gently touched the curb. 🤣
20220530_143634.jpg

Last edited:
Must
Is the failure electrical or mechanical?
Mechanical.

I opened the servo and found no broken gears.

I'll connect the servo again and test. But it's free "spooling".

I suspect the motor inside died.

Well maybe I don't understand how a servo works, which is very possible, but I am a bit confused. You say the problem is "mechanical" which tells me the motor works. And you say it is free spooling, again, that tells me the motor works. Then you say you think the motor died. Are you sure one of the gears is not just worn too much? What about your servo horn, could it be stripped inside?

In my experiences if the servo spins free and makes no attempt to move with the control, the motor is kaput.
Get a new servo. And yes the stronger faster servo is ALWAYS a good purchase.

Does it buzz twitch anything at all? If not, it is electrical failure. What are you using to power your RX and servos?

Well maybe I don't understand how a servo works, which is very possible, but I am a bit confused. You say the problem is "mechanical" which tells me the motor works. And you say it is free spooling, again, that tells me the motor works. Then you say you think the motor died. Are you sure one of the gears is not just worn too much? What about your servo horn, could it be stripped inside?
So when I move a servo by hand, you can hear that zzzt zzzt sound. LOL! No other way to replicate the sound with words. hahaha.
Mine is free. As if there is nothing in the housing anymore.
In my experiences if the servo spins free and makes no attempt to move with the control, the motor is kaput.
Get a new servo. And yes the stronger faster servo is ALWAYS a good purchase.
Correct yes. Mine spins/moves freely.
Does it buzz twitch anything at all? If not, it is electrical failure. What are you using to power your RX and servos?
The throttle servo works just fine on the same battery used to power the steering one. And it was charged right before I left. :)
Mechanical or electrical who knows. But the servo she is dead. :)

Connected the servo again last night. Twiched like mad and kept making weird sounds. Tried the steering. Nothing.

Replaced it with my monster truck servo. Sorted. Now to leisurely find a replacement servo. :)

Now you have to decide if you want a cheapo 20kg/25kg servo (Amazon/ebay/Aliexpress) or something weaker in specs on paper but with better precision, truer ratings and better support (Hitec, Futaba, Savox etc). Have fun 🤣

Now you have to decide if you want a cheapo 20kg/25kg servo (Amazon/ebay/Aliexpress) or something weaker in specs on paper but with better precision, truer ratings and better support (Hitec, Futaba, Savox etc). Have fun 🤣
🤣 🤣

The selections out there are outrages. I'm just going with what's available in SA. There are Savox, Futaba and Hitec. But there is also a Cys brand. Not terribly cheap, nor terribly expensive and the specs look ok.

I have to RC on a budget....😂😂

Back