Seeking Advice on a SCT to learn on

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardRub

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Flying
Hello Short Course fans, please give me your opinions on the best 2WD Short Course Truck for a new racer. My goal is to find a truck that I can race poorly and replace parts without too much hassle. Seems that the current market favors 4WD, so perhaps that's already a strike against me.

I have a Team Associated Pro 2 SC10, and it's cousin the Trophy Rat. I like the way these drive a lot, but it seems like it's all but impossible to find parts for these. The more professional kits from Losi and TA seem to have plenty of current part support from their manufacturers, but it also seems like they change the design with some regularity, discontinuing the previous models. I'm open to this level of commitment when the wallet and calendar allow for it, but for now I need something for the weekender.

What appears to be the other side of the spectrum is the Traxxas Slash. There are endless parts for it, but it seems to be a much older design that (at least for our driving) doesn't keep up with the more light and nimble TA RTRs.

I'm itching to get a kit for a mid-engine Short Course Truck, but it seems like I'll be hurting for parts as I smash it to bits in the learning process. I'm loosely familiar with some other brands like HPI, Redcat, Tekno, and a few others. But it's REALLY hard to get realistic information on brand quality with most search results being people who got a freebie or are flat out paid to positively review the product.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on a good option that splits the difference between these top race brands and the venerable Slash. I'm also not opposed to trying to upgrade a low CG Slash if that's the only way to get parts regularly.

I have never owned an SCT, but I just thought of something for your Senton. Remove the front driveshafts. Bam, you got a 2wd 😉

I have never owned an SCT, but I just thought of something for your Senton. Remove the front driveshafts. Bam, you got a 2wd 😉
Um. Ya know what. I might do exactly that. I like the cut of your jib!

Hello Short Course fans, please give me your opinions on the best 2WD Short Course Truck for a new racer. My goal is to find a truck that I can race poorly and replace parts without too much hassle. Seems that the current market favors 4WD, so perhaps that's already a strike against me.

I have a Team Associated Pro 2 SC10, and it's cousin the Trophy Rat. I like the way these drive a lot, but it seems like it's all but impossible to find parts for these. The more professional kits from Losi and TA seem to have plenty of current part support from their manufacturers, but it also seems like they change the design with some regularity, discontinuing the previous models. I'm open to this level of commitment when the wallet and calendar allow for it, but for now I need something for the weekender.

What appears to be the other side of the spectrum is the Traxxas Slash. There are endless parts for it, but it seems to be a much older design that (at least for our driving) doesn't keep up with the more light and nimble TA RTRs.

I'm itching to get a kit for a mid-engine Short Course Truck, but it seems like I'll be hurting for parts as I smash it to bits in the learning process. I'm loosely familiar with some other brands like HPI, Redcat, Tekno, and a few others. But it's REALLY hard to get realistic information on brand quality with most search results being people who got a freebie or are flat out paid to positively review the product.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on a good option that splits the difference between these top race brands and the venerable Slash. I'm also not opposed to trying to upgrade a low CG Slash if that's the only way to get parts regularly.
For a 2wd, there is the Traxxas Slash, but, it is a bit dated, and a bit heavier than most other trucks. Parts support is everywhere though. As for Redcat, their "short course" trucks are closer in size to a 1/10TH scale MT, except for the MT10E, that I'm pretty sure is discontinued. If you are looking for something newer than the Slash, but dont want to spend TLR money, pick up the Losi 22S and upgrade that. It takes all the 22SCT parts, but, can get pretty pricey by the time you are done. I have nearly $500, including what i paid for it (I bought it used for $150), into it. Some of my upgrades though are more to make it more durable for bashing, and werent even really necessary, like aluminum steering and hubs, since i dont race anymore. It would make a good platform for learning on though, since, except for the shocks, fixed links, and brushed power, it is a very reliable and durable truck right out of the box, and, even the brushed ones were built with upgrading to brushless in mind right out of the box. Another option, although not always a popular one, find a used AE or TLR truck. As for Tekno, i know nothing about them, as i have never owned one. All the rest of my trucks are discontinued race trucks (Arrma fury, Racers Edge Pro2, Associated SC10 4WD). For the AE Pro2 SC10, most of the online shps (A-Main, Tower, eBay, Amazon) all seem to have stuff in stock for it. I dont have a shop local to me, so i have to order everything online.

I have 2 Losi 22S, one i bought new from Horizon, and one i bought used as a roller on eBay, and, of all the trucks i have, that and my stock 2WD Slash seem to be the best for what i do with them. Parts are cheaper for the Slash, if you stick with stock, but, once you decide to upgrade, the 22S comes out cheaper overall, until you do start putting TLR parts on it. For racing though, i would start by switching to adjustable links, and, unless it is already brushless, upgrade to a brushless system, and run it and see what else it may need based on your driving style.

Back