Scratch my Belly

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CH3-NO2

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I bash my hyper 7 about on tarmac quite often and I have noticed that the underside of the chassis is getting badly scratched.

Is it ok for this to happen, or should I be running a higher ride height and/or stiffer springs?

I can see it being quite a substantial repair having to replace a whole chassis plate.

well metal does wear away too....you can't expect it to last forever right???
yes raise your ride height OR stiffen the suspension....I'd opt for the suspension...if you raise the height too much it will have a higher CG and not corner as well......also if you can find it there is a clear plastic coating they use to use on skateboards called slick skin....I've seen it in hardware stores occasionally (have NO idea what it's used for other than skateboards) and you just stick the sheet on the bottom and trim away the extra......

Yep...

That stuff is also used on the bottom of skis. It feels like a thick plastic. Pretty tough stuff. Easy to apply.

Ptex is a little different..it's more pourous to absorb the wax....if you hit the ground hard enough and your skis are dry you stop.....I'd hate to see what it might do to a buggy if he stopped dead from a big hit or something....LOL, the floridian schooling you northerners on ski equipment....that must look funny.....

Actually hugo does have a good idea...I forgot you can apply the fix stix like melting wax and press it into the gouges.....the fix sticks are more dense than the extruded P-tex you typically get w/ low to mid price skis......

Sparks!

Another option is to replace all your underside countersunk screws with round headed screws and make some serious sparks on your landings...

Oi, I'm joking - but I would love to see some video if you (or anyone) decides to try this...

He would scratch the hex right off the screws, and never be able to remove them again.
The plastic sheets are also made by Team Associated.
I used to use it on my off road electrics. Works great.
I'll look for a link.

HOLY CrAP...I didn't know they made everslick for RCs...LOL that's too funny...good find ratzo...

If I get this stuff, I'd have to cut out holes where each screw under the chassis is located, so that I can gain access to them, without removing the protector?

I think I may just leave it. After fitting some white springs, it hardly ever bottoms out, except obviously when I hit a rock or a sharp bump in the ground.

I suppose these chassis are designed for hefty scratches, are they are damn thick.

The only thing that bothers me now really is bottoming out and wearing down screw heads :ponder2:

you'll notice that happening long before you grind it all away.....they are really tough but if you run it on road alot you still might want to protect it....

This is what i use

Skateboard Grip Tape is nice because it is very very durable. it is very strong and lasts a long time. Yeah I know that it is just like very fine sandpaper. but it protects the bottom. and I have never noticed any stoping or slowing down cause of the grip tape the abbrasiveness of the grip tape does not last long anyway.You can also rub sandpaper on it to make it smoother Plus it is cheap for like $8 you get enough to do 2 buggy chassis. and you can get it is colors, red green blue.

Clear shipping tape also works well, it is cheap, clear, and you can put a thin layer or a thick layer to suit your needs. it is pretty durable stuff once you get 2-5 layers.

Back