savage xl low speed needle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UniqueSavage

RC Newbie
Reaction score
The manual says to adjust the LSN in a clockwise direction does anyone know if this is right ??? i adjust the needle like manual says and it runs crappy turn it the other way and it runs great? does running rich on the top end effect how you adjust the LSN ? idles fine does not stall. and is sealing up a nitro engine make any difference isnt what the factory has done good enough???

Clockwise is leaning it from the factory rich position. If it idles fine and you get a good launch from a standing position, there's no reason to adjust it any farther.
When that's all good, you see how it runs after it shifts and goes WOT. That adjustment will be with the HSN. The HSN will usually need tweaking depending on ambient temp and humidity but the LSN will not.
When you're unable to maintain a good idle or get a descent tune, that's when you'll need to seal it.
When you do, ask here. We have a good tutorial on how it's done.

(Since you're new, LSN-Low Speed Needle, HSN, High Speed Needle. WOT - Wide Open Throttle.)

I usually run my LSN about 3/4 of a turn out from flush which the manual recommends. I run the HSN around 1 and 1/4 past the groove. 1.5 turns past the groove is the maximum leanest setting per the manual. HPI does not recommend adjusting the mid range needle. I had trouble keeping it started when I would let off the throttle to turn and when I started coming back it would die on me. I ditched the HPI R5 glow plug for a McCoy 59 and my engine has not run better. I'm in the northeast and I run Byrons race 2000 20% fuel. Also my engine is sealed becuase it would machine gun when I let off the throttle at any tune.

Clockwise is leaning it from the factory rich position. If it idles fine and you get a good launch from a standing position, there's no reason to adjust it any farther.
When that's all good, you see how it runs after it shifts and goes WOT. That adjustment will be with the HSN. The HSN will usually need tweaking depending on ambient temp and humidity but the LSN will not.
When you're unable to maintain a good idle or get a descent tune, that's when you'll need to seal it.
When you do, ask here. We have a good tutorial on how it's done.

(Since you're new, LSN-Low Speed Needle, HSN, High Speed Needle. WOT - Wide Open Throttle.)

It seems to run fine takes off like a rocket. the only other issue I've had with the carb is that when i first bought it the o rings on the mid range needle dried out and started to leak, well I'm pretty sure this has happened again then the needle spins free and moves with engine vibration so i sealed it with red silicone and it seems okay even with bad orings is it possible to have internal air leaks in the carb? leaking between orings??