Savage XL alternative fuel tanks?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig911

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey ladies and gents

i have managed to get my engine ( mac star .28 T plug ) running how it should but i'm getting MTL issues upon returning to idle its high pitch and screams for a few seconds ( only when it hits half tank )

I'm looking for a replacement tank that won't cost over £10 want to set a limit on how much i keep spending on this truck

it needs to be UK stock and fairly easy to mount i can't go mid tank as I'm using a sub C hump pack so relocating the receiver and battery is a no go

i would prefer to keep similar capacity around 150 ml but don't mind going a little less

i was tempted to get a helicopter/airplane tank that but not 100% sure

Well I have replaced my fuel tank, I used one for a Helicopter/airplane

240cc I used my fuel tank guard and made it into a mount there should be a pic attached

Thank cost £7 inc shipping would be pretty easy to make a bracket or mod the alloy tank guard like I did I will upload more pics when I get home next Tuesday

Edit: pics added
couldn't edit first post here are the pics i took this morning,
hopefully you can see how i bent the bracket so its not against the chassis but stands off by about 10mm it is bent and battered from previous use but does its job

I got some fuel line clamps so when the truck is not in use i just clamp the pressure and fuel line,
I got the screw in the centre bung snug not tight so i just twist the bung to pull it out and insert it when i need to refuel

IMG_3023.JPG
IMG_3024.JPG
IMG_3025.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3003.JPG
    IMG_3003.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_3026.JPG
    IMG_3026.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
What's the part number you used @craig911?

i used a tank guard like this and bent it into shape and trimmed off the excess, i can't remember where i got mine i will take some pics of how i modded it when I'm home tuesday
b_SAV1089.JPG

http://www.gpmracing-parts.com/hpi-savage-alloy-fuel-tank-protector-gpm-sav1089-p-90008047.html

bending and shaping a bit of aluminium would work just as well i just used what i had on hand

this is the fuel tank i used but any one simmilar should work,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201632429535?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
s-l1600.jpg

the rubber stopper in the end i did use the screw and two plastic pieces but i kept it loose enough so i could remove it to refill the tank without a screwdriver as its a tight fit anyway so i just twist it in and out,

i chose this tank as its got an extra 80ml capacity over stock and as its a rectangle shape it will keep uniform pressure as the fuel level drops unlike the stock tank with the shelf in the middle

just a little update, you can get the fuel tank on hobbyking.com from the EU warehouse for pretty cheap
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/fuel-tank-240cc.html

tank dimensions
  • Length
  • Width
  • Height:

i could not find a dedicated mount for it but should be pretty easy to make one,
i did have a thought it could be mounted behind the engine on the XL as there would be lots of space for it

I used a spare tank from a mbx6t and mounted it in the stock location. Seems to be working great with the tune staying consistent as the tank empties but 125cc doesn't get you very far.

I'm currently running an OFNA #19076 in my X:
http://www.nitrohouse.com/Hyper-7-Fuel-Tank-OFNA-19076_p_5533.html

Ignore my awful image editing skills, was trying to get the front and back photo's in so you could see how it was mounted all in one image:
2016-0711-SavageX-OFNA19076Tank-Combined.jpg

Current setup with an LRP30. Goes through 125cc's in 7-8 minutes.
2016-0603-SavageX-OFNA19076Tank.jpg

Back in the day, I ran a very standard OFNA tank #30280. I ran that in many t-maxx's and 3 savages, but after 10 years of abuse in other savage's, the spring failed and it leaked badly, I needed to replace the one in my X, I couldn't find one. Luckily found the one in the above image that was a bit longer, but I made it work.

The one that kind of 30280 in my savage-x that I replaced:
2012-1014-SavageX-OFNATank.jpg

The 30280 similarly installed in my previous Hot Bodies extended savage:
2008-1207-SavageTankSide.jpg

And the 30280 in my old 21 chassis savage before that:
2006-0722-SavageSH28TankSide.jpg

I also tried a losi 8T tank in my hot bodies extended savage, except it was shaped wrong and wanted the pick up to be in the front of the tank of how I had it mounted. I drilled a hole in the back and used the clunk that way instead. It didn't run well though and I ended up going back to the 30280 tank:
2009-1223-SavageWinterSetupTank.jpg

I also tried a MGT tank in the HB lengthened savage:
2009-0418-SavageLRP28MGTTankLeft.jpg

It pushed the body out a bit and leaked like a sieve.

The XL savage gives you a lot more room to play around. Running a 4 shock setup helps give some room too. I did all of these before the XL existed. Personally, I like the short savage. It fits in my truck bag better than a longer rig. lol

Anyway, that's all the ones I tried. Figured I'd post my history here for you or anyone else in case it helps them.

I'm currently running an OFNA #19076 in my X:
http://www.nitrohouse.com/Hyper-7-Fuel-Tank-OFNA-19076_p_5533.html

Ignore my awful image editing skills, was trying to get the front and back photo's in so you could see how it was mounted all in one image:
2016-0711-SavageX-OFNA19076Tank-Combined.jpg

Current setup with an LRP30. Goes through 125cc's in 7-8 minutes.
2016-0603-SavageX-OFNA19076Tank.jpg

Back in the day, I ran a very standard OFNA tank #30280. I ran that in many t-maxx's and 3 savages, but after 10 years of abuse in other savage's, the spring failed and it leaked badly, I needed to replace the one in my X, I couldn't find one. Luckily found the one in the above image that was a bit longer, but I made it work.

The one that kind of 30280 in my savage-x that I replaced:
2012-1014-SavageX-OFNATank.jpg

The 30280 similarly installed in my previous Hot Bodies extended savage:
2008-1207-SavageTankSide.jpg

And the 30280 in my old 21 chassis savage before that:
2006-0722-SavageSH28TankSide.jpg

I also tried a losi 8T tank in my hot bodies extended savage, except it was shaped wrong and wanted the pick up to be in the front of the tank of how I had it mounted. I drilled a hole in the back and used the clunk that way instead. It didn't run well though and I ended up going back to the 30280 tank:
2009-1223-SavageWinterSetupTank.jpg

I also tried a MGT tank in the HB lengthened savage:
2009-0418-SavageLRP28MGTTankLeft.jpg

It pushed the body out a bit and leaked like a sieve.

The XL savage gives you a lot more room to play around. Running a 4 shock setup helps give some room too. I did all of these before the XL existed. Personally, I like the short savage. It fits in my truck bag better than a longer rig. lol

Anyway, that's all the ones I tried. Figured I'd post my history here for you or anyone else in case it helps them.
looks pretty good I've updated my first post with images of the tanks

Well I have replaced my fuel tank, I used one for a Helicopter/airplane

240cc I used my fuel tank guard and made it into a mount there should be a pic attached

Thank cost £7 inc shipping would be pretty easy to make a bracket or mod the alloy tank guard like I did I will upload more pics when I get home next Tuesday

Edit: pics added
couldn't edit first post here are the pics i took this morning,
hopefully you can see how i bent the bracket so its not against the chassis but stands off by about 10mm it is bent and battered from previous use but does its job

I got some fuel line clamps so when the truck is not in use i just clamp the pressure and fuel line,
I got the screw in the centre bung snug not tight so i just twist the bung to pull it out and insert it when i need to refuel

View attachment 19616 View attachment 19617 View attachment 19618

ok small update

i had to ditch the aluminum 3mm tubes and ended up using 3.2mm ID 6.4mm OD fuel line as i was having fuel starvation issues it would cut out after a few seconds at half throttle, the aluminium tubes ID was too small so restricted fuel flow,

i used a step drill to core out two holes on the rubber cap i made two 6mm holes and threaded the fuel line through,
as this made the rubber cap slightly deformed and harder to put into the tank neck ,
i made the neck slightly larger again using the step drill bit, making sure i kept it a snug fit i ended up making the fuel tank opening 20mm

here are some pics,

1 - fuel tank neck wider approx 1-2mm
IMG_3028.JPG

2 - fuel line all the way through, i had to keep the screw in there as i initially had the plastic compression fitting installed but i have changed it to a nut and bolt with a small washer on each end not pictured but works again only needed to be snug
IMG_3029.JPG
IMG_3030.JPG
IMG_3031.JPG

here are some fresh pics of the current tank install,

moved from the initial location to being on the back of the shock tower behind the engine, i raised it up as it helped with consistent pressure when the level dropped as it was mounted with the mid point being around the same level as the engine mount plate ( harder for fuel to flow to the carb )

now the bottom of the tank is just below the carb so no more issues with fuel being pushed/pulled

( yes the truck is on my dog he would not move when i wanted to take pics )

when i get the chance i will look a cleaner ways to mount the fuel tank

IMG_3096.JPG
IMG_3097.JPG
IMG_3098.JPG

Looks nice on a bench... but that thing wouldn't last me 30 seconds in the wild. It would either get ripped off completely or at the very least crushed/cracked between the engine, ground or tower.

Looks nice on a bench... but that thing wouldn't last me 30 seconds in the wild. It would either get ripped off completely or at the very least crushed/cracked between the engine, ground or tower.

i can see that for some one that jumps etc

for me that will be fine, playing about with mounting and that's what suited me best, a 150cc tank would be a nicer fit if i had the tools and ability i would make a mount so i could fit it next to the engine

I'm going to order a smaller size around 150cc and see how that fits as this tank is on the large side

How did you do with this tank mod? Were you able to place a smaller unit? That tank looks pretty large in the pics! Bet it runs the truck for a good half hour tho!

How did you do with this tank mod? Were you able to place a smaller unit? That tank looks pretty large in the pics! Bet it runs the truck for a good half hour tho!

i did find smaller tanks, but i like having the large one i have been looking at mounting ideas i just have not been able to come up with anything, i have not had a chance to test the run time but it should be almost double,

with the tank in that location the bottom of the tank is just under the carb so fuel delivery will be consistent until it's down to almost empty

i have finally got some fuel so will give it a run in the next few days for the concern over durability, i'm thinking of building a cage into the back of my fiberglass shell that will protect the tank if i roll the truck, just got to get some junk copper piping or something,

You could maybe try leaving the tank in the same spot, but laying it on it's side across the tops of the TVP's and use a clunk in it. Just angle it so the bottom is a bit lower than the top so the clunk and fuel are both at the lowest point. That would at least bring the top of the tank down to or below the top of the tower.

You could maybe try leaving the tank in the same spot, but laying it on it's side across the tops of the TVP's and use a clunk in it. Just angle it so the bottom is a bit lower than the top so the clunk and fuel are both at the lowest point. That would at least bring the top of the tank down to or below the top of the tower.

i have thought about doing that, if this tank had a twist close top i probably would as it would be more secure, the rubber stopper in mine is a not too tight fitting
also the size of my tank makes it not quite fit nicely that way, it's closer to the exhaust than i would like

I am using a tekno tank with a clunk. It's mounted up front using the flm servo plate. This effectively solved the issue for me.

I am using a tekno tank with a clunk. It's mounted up front using the flm servo plate. This effectively solved the issue for me.

using that mount plate means finding a space for the receiver and 6V subc hump pack so it would just cause more inconvenience,

small update on the tank, ran the truck today but it ran a bit rough, more due to the grass being too long and having big heavy wheels coupled with an underpowered engine that will be replaced after the new year

i'm going to fit the terrapins back on the truck instead of the current pirate MT wheels so it will reduce the strain on the engine

The tank was flawless though,

I'm thinking i may also change my gear ratio to 52/14 ( then dial the 3 speed in again )

8rF6anNu_o.jpg
8BFLOBKH_o.jpg
F1wZG9OW_o.jpg
gbDJnGln_o.jpg
360Ecf81_o.jpg
5YfiF4fI_o.jpg
BUHKtyPV_o.jpg

Zero fuel delivery issues now. I set the needles and forget it. No lean spots. And if it flips it will run for a very long time on its roof.

Last edited:
Zero fuel delivery issues now. I set the needles and forget it. No lean spots. And if it flips it will run for a very long time on its roof.

not to be a douche or an A hole, but kind of proves my point with no where to put anything

your radio gear is exposed to moisture/water same with the battery, i would rather not risk anything shorting out when being used while its raining or wet outside

not trying to drop a deuce on your setup or anything, if it works for you that's cool, i tend to run in all weather so that kind of open setup is a no go for me

with my gear still in the radio box it's pretty safe from water, even with the top of the battery box cut open to accommodate the 1/5 sub C battery

also slight update, i took the dremel to the neck that the rubber bung sits in so it's flush and it's got a nice tight fit now ( checked before hand ) it was too high and only gripping on the bottom few millimeters of the bung

i will take a few pics and post them later in the afternoon of the neck less tank

also discovered this mac star engine does not like 20% fuel, so will use up what i have and get some 25% or 30% when the LHS has it back in stock

also anyone use baby/mineral oil on there truck for anything?
i read about some using it as After run oil/Shock oil & Air filter oil

Back