Savage XL 5.9 review

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

only-half-evil

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Can anyone give my any honest opinions about the XL 5.9? I ask cuz I'm considering getting one...but mainly just for its huge size. I'm wondering just how good of a truck it really is as far as runnability and durability. Are they good trucks or are they a pain in the ass to deal with...with more downtime than run time? Been RCing since I was a kid...just now giving the nitros a shot. So I would really appreciate more experienced opinions...and not just sales pitches from local shops and ads. Thanks.

Savage xl and savage x are very durable trucks and for bashing you can count on them, very strong construction for bashing but if you are planning for real racing on track I don't think so. I had also savage x and I really love it.

I have an XL and it is an amazing truck! I have not even run my revo that has over $1200 invested in it since I got the XL. I have bashed the ever loving crap out of the XL and not broken a single part while my revo still to this day breaks something every single time I run it.

The 5.9 in the XL can be a little tricky until you get the hang of it then it is a beast. I would reccommend if you get the 5.9 first thing is to pull it out and seal it up real good. Then I would get a McCoys mc-8 and some good 30% nitro.

Well coming from someone who has owned a .25 then got an xl, i must say the XL can definitely stand up to more abuse. As far as the K5.9 engine, I just sent mine in to HPI. I have an LRP .30 spec2 I put in it, and it just roars. The worst I did was run into a palm tree at WOT, because a steering link popped off. It just broke a lower A arm, and bent the front skid plate.

I've ran it off 8ft skate walls, half pipes... you name it, and its landing on cement... I've also broken tie rods and a few other items, but it is one tough MT.

It does have a few downfalls... the servos suck, horrible stock turning radius, stock engine is a PITA, need rear tie rod eliminators, needs a center skid to keep debris from brakes and etc. and theres some hop ups that are good ideas.

If you want an all out basher get the XL, every truck has its issues, but the Xl is just a beast.

Yea I've owned all the nitro savages and the xl is a pretty beast truck to have
defintly durable and fun to drive but as mentioned before the stock engine is not that great of a mill,it is tricky to tune and to make it maintain consistent temps
I would consider buying one and selling the engine on ebay as soon as you get it
you could get atleast 150 out of the engine then buy you something better like lrp for 200 ish (which is only 50 more at this point)
I also have a LRP .30 spec 2 in my xl and its a whole new animal compared to my 5.9

Thanks to all for their input. I was already pretty sold on the XL...but you guys just sealed the deal. And I will keep all your tips in mind...especially the new engine from the rip. Makes sense to do it that way it the engine isnt all that great. But its good to know that the XL is basically a tank...cuz I seem to easily DESTROY everything I touch. Now...quick question...with the aftermarket engines y'all have mentioned to switch to...do they currently have the Super-Charger kit available for them...like they have for the HPI big blocks? Cuz I've got this hair up my ass that if I get an XL...I want the Super-Charger kit on it...Cuz I'm all about bigger and faster. Oh BTW...I mainly just bash and trash my RCs...quads, dirt bikes, buggies and even my daily driven vehicles...I dont have the time to do any actual racing...which kinda sucks

Thanks to all for their input. I was already pretty sold on the XL...but you guys just sealed the deal. And I will keep all your tips in mind...especially the new engine from the rip. Makes sense to do it that way it the engine isnt all that great. But its good to know that the XL is basically a tank...cuz I seem to easily DESTROY everything I touch. Now...quick question...with the aftermarket engines y'all have mentioned to switch to...do they currently have the Super-Charger kit available for them...like they have for the HPI big blocks? Cuz I've got this hair up my ass that if I get an XL...I want the Super-Charger kit on it...Cuz I'm all about bigger and faster. Oh BTW...I mainly just bash and trash my RCs...quads, dirt bikes, buggies and even my daily driven vehicles...I dont have the time to do any actual racing...which kinda sucks

Please i sincerely ask you Please do not put a stoopidcharger on a lrp or any other 2 stroke engine for that matter
they do not work on 2 stroke engines,all they do is shove un needed air down your engines throat and makes it almost impossible to get a decent tune
eventually it will cause the engine to over heat and either rub off the piston sleeve to where theres not enough compression or break a con rod or seize a bearing due to the lack of lubrication and high temp from the lean air/fuel ratio

After all I've just heard about suer-chargers...I think I can agree with calling them "stoopidchargers". Ill continue to use super-chargers on real cars and trucks...but Ill draw the line by not putting one on an RC. Now I just gotta find a bad-ass engine for an XL...but my sick mind has to wonder if theres a way to mod it for some real nitro...like a tiny bottle just for shits and giggles. By real nitro...I mean some juice.

if you have the cash get a modded engine from ERCM, If not LRP .32 Spec2.

by nitro I'm assuming you mean nitrous? as in nitrous oxide

Nitrous is just as stupid as the stupidcharger. Yes there are nitrous kits available but it does'nt really offer any performance gain on a nitor 2 stroke engine. You will more than likley end up cooking the engine before you get through the first gallon of fuel. I have the XL and I run the LRP .32 engine. That engine is an absolute beast. It's easy to tune and will hold a tune from now till doomsday as long as it's broken in correctly.

I was just being an ass when I mentioned the idea of nitrous...I dont even use that crap in my real racers. So...the LRP .32 is the beast of beasts? See...thats why I like sights like this...you can learn alot from them...from experienced guys like you. Thanks.

You are welcome sir. You will love the Savage XL. Especialy with an LRP engine it will require a wheelie bar. Otherwise it will flip completely on it's lid if you don't baby the throttle on take off. Don't bother with the HPI wheelie bar it's useless with that engine. I use a Traxxas T-MAXX wheelie bar and fasten it to the rear skid plate with zip ties.

Savage xl hump back wont turn on!!need help

Hi i was driving my XL around today and i hit a pole straight on not going very fast though.My truck was still running but i couldnt turn or go forward.When i try to turn my hump pack switch on it doesn't turn on??HELP!!

Hi i was driving my XL around today and i hit a pole straight on not going very fast though.My truck was still running but i couldnt turn or go forward.When i try to turn my hump pack switch on it doesn't turn on??HELP!!

Is the battery charged?

Yes i have already tried to charge it but nothing.It was running fine until i hit the pole and its like the electronics shut off but the engine was still running?

Back