Savage X to Flux conversion questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I'm thinking about converting my Savage X SS to a Flux. I already have an extra Castle MMM 2200kv combo. What is the best choice to use for a motor mount? I see HPI actually makes one that also has an ESC mounting space on it as well. or is there a better option?

I'm assuming it would be easier and probably not much more expensive to just buy a parted out flux transmission rather than ordering all the parts to beef up the current one?

On top of those things I know I will need to order the lipo trays do you also have to order the flux TVPs or will they attach to the X SS TVPs?

I also already have the heavy duty diffs with the BP gears in them so I'm good there. I imagine I will want the wheelie bar sinc eI plan on running it on 6S. Anything else you guys can think of that i might need for this project?

Do the crickets mean no one has ever done this before or does it mean I should have used the search function? lol

Ok the first place I went when I wanted to do the conversion last year was Kershaw designs. He has a pretty good selection of stuff to do the conversion. I would not mind checking out his center gearbox replacement to shove a 1/5 scale motor in one.....

I'll check out Kershaw and see what he has available. I already have a 2200 1515 just sitting around with no home so I'm wanting to use that otherwise I might be tempted to go with the bigger 1/5 scale motor

I believe you can buy the frames and battery holders as a set on epig for cheap enough. i have a flux, but its was the way it is when i got it so i can't really say much else. only run the truck a couple times since i bought it

Are the Flux TVPs interchangable with the Nitro X TVPs?

Looks like Kershaw has exactly what i need. I'm not sure if I should go with the Kershaw hardened gears for the X tranny or get one of his direct drive set ups. The direct drive set up is about $60 more than the gears though o_O

I converted my xl to flux last year as well. I went with one of the Kershaw motor mounts. If you are comfortable drilling all your own holes for the battery boxes then the stock tvps will work. Otherwise you will need the flux tvps and motor mount plate.

If you're going to be buying new tvps, I'd go with the XL size one's and the extended axles maybe down the road. I've heard it helps with control and from running mine on the weekend for the first time it's kind of hard to control, it just down right scares me running on cement. I love it lol!!!!
Also though I've never experienced electric over 2s, Bandit was always 2s, same with my TC3 VTA racer. Once I upgrade my charger set up and grab more batteries I plan on making mine the XL specs.

I have no problem drilling holes in the TVPs. Thats easy enough. If I get the Kershaw conversion kit though I get what appears to be better battery trays that hook straight up to the X TVPs and Kershaws motor mount looks to be superb. I believe the kit also comes with a handful of other things like the gear to convert the X tranny into the Flux tranny and a pinion of your choosing. For $70 bucks I think thats the way I'm gonna go. I'm intrigued by the direct drive tranny replacement but I dont know if I'm $100 intrigued....lol

If I were to do it again, I would have went with the direct drive transmission. The mount I have needed to be reinforced a bit, they were known for bending under extreme conditions. Here are some pictures of my xl...
IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

@MudSlinger33 So I have a few follow up question for you if you would be so kind. Did you start out with an XL or did you have an X and you converted it to an XL? It looks like you did because I believe the XL has terra pin tires and big bores stock. So the follow up question would be if you did indeed convert from X to XL what all did you have to buy besides the TVPs?

What did you have to do to reinforce the kershaw motor mount?

Do you have issues using the stock battery trays? I've read in some places that they are prone to popping open because the rubber strap that holds them closed pop loose upon hard impacts.

Could you please elaborate on why you wish you would have went with the direct drive for an extra $100 bucks?

Last edited by a moderator:
It did start out as an x. I upgraded to the xl tvp's of course, bp diffs, HD driveshafts, extended axle shafts and bought a complete flux transmission off eBay. The only reason I wish I would have went with the direct drive tranny is because of the high center of gravity and the problems people have had with the motor mount I'm using. I haven't had any issues with it bending yet, but it has tweaked a bit when landing hard.
IMG_1905.jpg

All I had to do was drill another hole in the mount. That way, instead of having one bolt on the left side tvp, now there is two. That helped to stop it from twisting.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the excellent info guys!

I guess I need to use my eyes when looking at webpages...I thought the direct drive was just a transmission replacement but I now see it also has the motor mount built into it. Not sure how I missed that... I thought you had to buy the conversion kit and then spend another 100 bucks for the direct drive.

So in light of that helpful piece of insight I think Ill go with the direct drive, the Robinson Gen 3 HD slipper, their Extended XL chassis, and the new battery boxes that Wacmartin posted. I already bought BP diffs for it. I'm guessing I'll probably want to buy a HD front drive shaft for it since the Kershaw XL extension plates comes with a HD extended rear Drive shaft.

If I wanted to widen it to match the XLs stance what do you need for that, just the XL arms and the longer XL axels?

Last edited:
The xl arms are the same as the x. You will need the HD driveshafts and the extended axles to match.

So far I'm looking at 200-250 bucks....a flux costs 659 bucks.

---------- Post added at 5:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:24 PM ----------

What brand of tvps are you going to go with?

I think I'm going to buy the Kershaw XL conversion TVPs

---------- Post added at 5:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:25 PM ----------

The xl arms are the same as the x. You will need the HD driveshafts and the extended axles to match.

Sorry mud but I'm not following you....if the arms are the same length way would I need extended axles?

Back