savage x clutch install problem help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpc5772

RC Newbie
Reaction score
hi ya all
new to 3 shoe clutch install,not sure if i did it right no tension on the shoes from the spring,is that ok springs are intact where the should
003.JPG
be on shaft nut,just want to make sure before installing back into my truck ????
001.JPG

The shoes must be tensioned, otherwise you will not be able to even start your truck (on ground).

As you slide the shoe & spring on to the pin ,take the screw driver an guide the end of the spring
towards the rear of the shoe an push down over the clutch nut at same time ,you will feel the tension
instantly on the screw driver ,it may take you trying a couple times because it is hard ,but you will
get the hang of it!
I usually use a small allen wrench to keep the spring in its place in the shoe while I get it started
on to the pin on the flywheel ,that helps!..:thumbs-up:

That is the way I do it ,but they do sell a clutch tool to do this!..:cool:

The springs are on the shaft nut should the cluch pads spring back or be free to move

The springs are on the shaft nut should the cluch pads spring back or be free to move

They should be pretty tightly held inwards, to the point that they audibly snap back when you lift them slightly with your nail. It's a bit tricky to get them installed, the short leg of the spring needs to go the "hard way" around the nut, in the direction that would tension the shoe to pull inwards, as you slide the clutch shoe onto the flywheel.

Don't lift them too far once you've got them installed to avoid damaging the spring.