Savage X 4.6 winter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldo556

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
my car doesn't run properly in winter. I've tried to adjust it but it always shuts off when I try to push throttle. Any tips?

Nitro requires adjustment often, the very reason I don't run nitro. I just don't have the patience for it.
Best advice I can give is set needles back to factory settings and retune.
Worthless advice I know but there are some knowledgeable nitro guys here that will help you out.

Best advice for nitro in the winter...leave it the house! When you run a glow engine at very low ambient temperature the metals won't expand as intended and even if you get it to stay running after a few tanks it will rebreak in for the low temps. OK fine. But the next summer when you take it out and the metals expand at summer temperature...you have one nutless engine!
That being true you don't want to just lean out the mixture for it to get hotter, that will also starve it of oil. What does work is to cover most of the upper cooling head with tin foil to reduce the cooling at low temperature. Colder it is out the more of the head you need to cover, but you need to keep it at the normal temps that you run in the summer. You basically need your engine tuned for summer first before to be sure it's close, then there is ajustment due to winter air being more dense and will need more fuel to burn. I used to play in the snow with my savage, I had a summer engine and a winter engine after a few years. Even electric cars are not emune to problems at very low temps, but much less hassle