Savage with Mach 427. Recommend me a good pipe

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuckStang

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have a m427 in my savage. I am using a HPI polished pipe that originally came from a 5.9 in a savage. Ebay special at 19.99. It works really well, but if there is any power to be gained with another pipe, I would like to know what you guys would think that would be a good match for them427. Broke the pipe in the Revo during a good bashing session, one of the engines is getting a new pipe.

While we're at it, what would be a good match for an axial 28???

BUMP....someone's gotta know.

Look on www.horizonhobby.com Find the Losi HT pipe for the LST/Aftershock.
Get just the pipe and try to find a one piece header for the Savage. THS and GPM, Integy and Hot Bodies make one peice headers for the Savage.
If that is more trouble than you want to go through the HPI Polished pipe will do a good job.
You will have to use 16/49 gearing on that engine, the backplate will hit the TVP or the Cooling Head will hit the fuel tank on a stock length Savage.

Thank you scrogg. I am actually happy with the performance of the 5.9 pipe on the ax, it was just not doing the job on the mach.

The Losi HT pipe makes it run a lot better than the HPI pipe though. My buddy had one on his savage with the HT pipe, then mangled his pipe and borrowed my HPI polished pipe. Made it run like a turd. Ended up throwing a lamo integy pipe on it, but it runs better than it did with the HPI pipe.

You can find the losi HT pipes on ebay for around $25-$30 shipped. The LST2 and XXL run that pipe, so search for those. I just bought one last week off ebay for my LRP28S3 in my savage. A really good pipe for many engines that doesn't break the bank.

I used nylon re-enforced silicone tubing and heavy zipties to connect it to the standard HPI header. I did grind down one of the ribs on the pipe so the ziptie would squeeze a bit better. Have bashed it pretty hard and haven't had an issue with it or the one I did on my aftershock the same way last year.