Savage K4.6 break-in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1500valk

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Sorry if this has been addressed before, but I was wondering what break-in method ya'll recomment for the k4.6 engine? Should I just follow the manual, or do the heat cycle method (described here: http://www.johnnycoolguy.com/JCGR/main/tech_break-in.html )

I did a similar break-in for my Fantom FR15 and it worked great.
Any suggestions? I did put 1/4 inch of fuel in the tank just to test everything. I primed with the primer bulb (I use an Associated Monster GT primer bulb) until it just touched the carb, then glow plug ignitor, and one burst from the Duratrax roto start and it fired right up. Good idle until it used up the small amount of fuel in the tank.

break it in per manual suggests. if it starts to load up where it wants to bog and die turn the idle screw in to make the idle higher so fuel flows easier, or you could just lean the hsn some to get a good flow to were it doesn't load up and die over and over time again. prolly just lean the hsn in1/8-1/4 turn increments to keep it from dieing on ya.

i had the hell of a time keeping mine running until i leaned the hsn to get smooth consistent idle.

good luck and let us know how it goes. i love my k46 got it the week it came out 2/15/05 and have ran about 4-5 gallons of fuel and she is still going strong. now i have to wait for the 101 degree weather to calm befroe i can run.

ummm... the HSN should not really affect the idle all that much

If its loading up with fuel and dieing you need to lean the LSN. My K4.6 neverstalled at all during breakin, didn't touch the needles either. Other engines I have had needed to have the LSN leaned inorder to stay running.

yeah, mine idled fine for the 1/4 inch of fuel (about 5 minutes) in the tank. I will follow the book on the break-in and see how it goes.

Back