Savage diff

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobydoo2u

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I believe this is a diff problem, but maybe not.

Anyways, When going fast on road or off road my savage will suddenly swerve sometimes even to the point of almost tipping over and causing me to try to hurry and correct it before it hits something.

When I go to jump it most of the time I can't even hit the ramp because it is so hard to keep in a strait line or if I do hit the ramp it likes to swerve off the side.

Now I know I'm not the best driver, but I know this is not all me.

I would gladly post video, but I just used my last bit of fuel.
Time to make another order!

Any help would be great, thanks!

Edit: It's not steering trim either, its not just pulling.

Last edited:
Nope, none of that.
It is definitely noticeable that under acceleration or during med-high speeds it will just be very hard to control.

I can try to get some fuel together tomorrow for a video!

I'm almost sure it is a differential problem, but I'm not sure.
I've been in RC a few years and I haven't experienced this before.

Could the diff oil be to thin allowing the diff to unload and then surging forward when the tire touches ground again?

It's almost a driving on ice feeling coming from the truck, not the surface I'm driving on.

I dunno man I know mine on pavment is kinda hard to control at high speeds. My rc18mt did pretty much exactly what your decribing I never did figure it out. I figured it was the weak steering.

Yea man it's strange.
All that power waiting to be unleashed, but I have to hold back to control any of it.

I think I may pick up some heavier diff fluid and try it.
I'll try to get a vid for the rest of you tomorrow if I can find some fuel around here.
Thanks again!

I messed with it some more to see if I still had the diff action and upon spinning one front tire and keeping the rear ones from turning some times it would have normal diff action, then sometimes it would just spin freely after a grinding/popping feeling.

Well I figured broken gears so I tore it down and apparently I lost a set screw for the drive cup leading from the trans to the front diff.

I don't know How I didn't notice this, but I think sometimes it would snag and be 4WD and some times it would spin freely and only give 2WD.

I guess this was my entire problem, I feel like a :n00bie: all over again..

thanks for your help!