savage diff grease vs. weighted oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan_454

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i have been running 7k oil in my savage diffs. my buddy runs 60k... his mess up ALOT faster then mine... the problem being that the screws that hold the ring gear to the diff cup loosening allowing a looser clearence in the bevel gears and stripping them out. mine has done it once in the year and a half since I've had my savage, his have done it twice in 6 months... so my theory is that the thicker oil which does provide less differentiation is also pushing on the ring gear and loosening the screws faster. which makes them go faster. so my theory is that with grease, they would last even longer then with a weighted oil... becuase it would not push on the ring gear as much if any. i know performance would be hindered somewhat but i bash only so i figure i wouldnt really see the drop in performance. also with more differentiation by using grease wouldnt it be easier on other parts? such as landing a jump funny and allowing power to be easily transfered and not braking parts like dogbones? is this somethign to consider? the reason for this is my savage diffs are being completely rebuilt soon and i was thinking of just putting grease in there instead of oil????

If you use machine screws insted of the corse thread screws you shouldn't have anymore problems. It made a dramatic differance on my diffs.

yeah i did that my buddy has not