Savage 25 Radio Box

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Rascal

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi I own a savage 25 it is an awesome rig but the radio box is a pain to open and fit everything into. I just wondered if the was an upgraded version which is easier to get work with.

I dunno if its the same as my x but ya mine sucks too i hate it lol.

I have the Savage X receiver box in my Savage 25 and it's WAY more easier to use. Definitely recommend it.

I have the Savage X receiver box in my Savage 25 and it's WAY more easier to use. Definitely recommend it.

Ok I'll have a look thanks but h8z2luze has a savage x and finds it still difficult to use. Thanks.

It's just the way they designed the radio box. The best way to get around this issue is to get the X radio box, a rechargeable battery, and a switch with a charge lead.

Mine is set up this way (with a Savage 25 box) and I only have to open the box to change crystals; which is next to never.

It's just the way they designed the radio box. The best way to get around this issue is to get the X radio box, a rechargeable battery, and a switch with a charge lead.

Mine is set up this way (with a Savage 25 box) and I only have to open the box to change crystals; which is next to never.

Yeah I have the switch but I still like to open the box before runs to check the failsafe etc. I also have 2 reciver batteries which I sometimes swap between runs if I don't have time to charge one.

Good point. You could go to a single shock setup on the savage; that would make it easier to access the radio box.

Good point. You could go to a single shock setup on the savage; that would make it easier to access the radio box.

Possibly but I'm just getting into jumping my savage so I'm not sure that would be a great idea but if I stop jumping or can't get the hang of it I might give that a go. Thanks

i have the savage x 4.6, and frig ya its really annoyuing, so i dont use the cover, i just tape all the wires down, i did it before with teh box, and i always end up closing on a wire, and the wires then dont last long/ melt the plastic etc etc...

Tempting but I wouln't want the tape coming loose and the failsafe etc. disappering through the gearing :hehe:

Possibly but I'm just getting into jumping my savage so I'm not sure that would be a great idea but if I stop jumping or can't get the hang of it I might give that a go. Thanks

I was thinkin of the LST or even the HPI big bore shock kits.

But I'm with you; I like the look of twin shocks on the truck. Just gives it more of a monster truck look.

If you take a small file and open up the slot where the lil locking mechanism goes, it helps a bit.

:)***individual results may vary***:)

Is that on the savage 25 box or the "X Box"

Is that on the savage 25 box or the "X Box"

On the Savage X box. I would get rid of the Savage 25 box all together. They're just way too frustrating. Here's a lil tip on making a bit less frustrating though. First get yourself one of these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFPV9&P=ML

The sell them in most hobby shops. If you've never seen them before, here's a cut n paste description.

"The body clips are attached to the black strap. The strap
mounts to the the hood of the vehicle. This is so when you remove
the body clips you won't lose the clips when removed from body."

You can do the same thing with your radio box. just drill a small hole in the middle/front of the box, attatch the strap, and use the 2 clips on the front of the box. You can pull the clips out by the plastic strap and it's also a little easier to put them back in. For the back clip, just bend the rounded part of the clip 90° . That gives you something to grab onto when removing/installing clips.

Of course if you play your cards right you can get a savage x box on ebay for about the same price.:)

Last edited:
I'll try to take a few pics of some of the different setups I have on my Savys this evening.

I was thinkin of the LST or even the HPI big bore shock kits.

But I'm with you; I like the look of twin shocks on the truck. Just gives it more of a monster truck look.

Yeah... once you see one with LST2 shocks on it... you'll think MONSTER!!!

I know I saw the light when my buddy did it. It just looks mean! Jumps and handles like an animal as well.

th x box is WAY nicer and easier to use. its is a BIG upgrade from the 25 box

Yeah... once you see one with LST2 shocks on it... you'll think MONSTER!!!

I know I saw the light when my buddy did it. It just looks mean! Jumps and handles like an animal as well.

are you refering to the maroon savy with the yellow 40 series wheels in your vid?

i liked that trucks handling off the big ramps.

ohh ya about the box, +1 to the charge jack switch and hump pack, can't remember the last time i wrestled mine!

Last edited:
Yep. That's the one. He basically just made little stand offs out of plate aluminum for the lowers and bolted the tops on using spare LST2 stand offs. Then went bashing! Took he and I about an hour to make them. We made top mounts too but, he decided to try it without and has had a fun time since.

Stinking thing lands like it's on a pillow compared to my stupid aftershock... so sad...

ya i think the larger 40 series wheels&tires he is running helps alittle, looked like you were bottoming out pretty hard but the lst took it. i wouldnt worry about it as long as its not causing any damage.

I'm a fan of stock savage shock, but that truck did absoarb some good air like it was nothing. may have to give a set a try some time.

do you have a pic of it open?
i have 1 on my savage 2 but i cut that strip:eek:

Back