savage 25 going LRP?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zapper26

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys.
I'm new to this site, I have a savage 25, last year I had a trx revo with rpm arms, and the rest was integy, the motor was an hpi k4.6 big block
The car got totalled except for the engine, so I bought a used savage 25 in great shape. I've burned out both motors. The 4.6 needs a sleeve and the 25 is just ran way to hard. I picked up 2 new engines, (new rebuilt) another .25 and another 4.6. My friend has been telling me to buy an LRP engine for the savage.
Any thoughts on this? He owns a r/c shop and knows his poop.
Hope to hear some tips.

lrp is the best bang for your buck in m opinion
sure there are better engines out there but if your on a budget lrp is the only way to go
i have the lrp 30 spec2 on my savage xl and i couldnt be more happy

My buddy was telling me he installed one for someone and he had to feather the throttle because everytime he would hit it, it would catwalk or just flip back. I just want that power where the truck always wants to lift.

The LRP28S3 can be geared to have on demand power without being overly nuts in the wheelie department.

Also, the best wheelie deterrent is part of your hand... Throttle control. Use it!

10+ years and I still pull wheelies I don't mean to. Pesky LRP's... lol

I have had 3 of them. Working on a 4th for my savage now. I sold two of them with the two trucks they were in and the new owner is just as happy with them as I was.

Yea I have it all figured out, I bought the .28 piccco, its stil in the box, I also purchased 2 new hpi engines, a f4.6 and a k5.9. I've only had time to run the the 4.6 and the power from that is just immense. I'm running 17-49, its fiddlesticking fast and it just wheelies, I had to buy new brakes, and a new cover from it catwalkin, I destroyed it.
I can't wait to break in the 5.9 and the picco. I'm running 20-12 in the 4.6 but I wanna run 30-11 in the picco and the 5.9.
Any comments?

5.9's are hit and miss. Lots of fuel consumption while making little power. Piccos are good engines. No reason to drop f bombs either bro. Women and children hangout here.

the 5.9 can be a bit difficult to tune and even once it is tuned and broken in it still doesn't make the power it should for its size and the amount of fuel it uses. I think my single biggest complaint with the 5.9 is the fuel consumption.

I used to carry one maybe two fuel bottles with me when I went bashing now I carry the full gallon can!

I did not mean to drop the F BOMB but you all know we get a little excited sometimes.And I'm sure women and children drop F BOMBs also......

Last edited:
JoshMan
Its funny you say the 5.9 consumes fuel so heavily, I find that my 4.6 if I fun it hard I get about 7-12 minutes on a tank
But if I run my .25 a tank last me .25 my tank last about 25 minutes,
I dont understand, a .25 is a 4.1 is it not and going up that .5 makes that much of a difference?

---------- Post added at 3:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:06 PM ----------

I was purchasing 2 1 gallon jugs at a time for 56 bucks a piece so it came out to 112 something plus tax. Now I buy from a site that sells 20-12 or 30-11. I can get 1 gallon for 23.50 of 20-12 or 28.50 for 30-11. If I buy 4 it comes out to 114.00. so I'm saving 100.00 plus ordering 4 gallons at a time.

I just got offered from a friend a Losi 454 Engine, he has it still in the box. he wants to sell it to me for 110.00. The question is, is it worth it? Will it give me great throttle response? Long engine life broken in properly?
I have right now a hpi .25 2x hpi f 4.6 hpi 5.9 and picco .28
What are your thoughts guys?
Is it a nitro guzzler?

The 454 is the same as a LRP .28, just different carbs. My 454 is the only BB that I have experience with, so I can't compare it to another engine's fuel consumption. I have about 3 hard gallons on mine and it's still running strong.

If there's an alternative pull-start for it, I'd buy it. The one that comes on it is overly complicated and prone to failure.