Rustler servo saver.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slick2500

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Can this be put back together? I tried for a while and My Googlefoo is failing me on finding out how to put it back together. Now I understand how and where the spring goes but it is almost like it is too big and it doesn't even fit in the housing.

20220810_195745.jpg

This is me trying to force the spring in the housing. I can't even get the spring all the way in.
20220810_195924.jpg

You are doing it right. You just have to keep working the spring in there. Or you can buy a suitable Kimbrough saver.

You are doing it right. You just have to keep working the spring in there. Or you can buy a suitable Kimbrough saver.
Like this? It is a Kimbrough 124 iirc that I ground down to run in my Typhon 3s. Or do they make one that is a better fit? I'll look at their website.

20220810_205731.jpg

After further inspection I would need to open up this hole, but idk if it is too close to the one above it.
20220810_205731.jpg

Last edited:
the spring has to be compressed so it will fit in channel..

Like this? It is a Kimbrough 124 iirc that I ground down to run in my Typhon 3s. Or do they make one that is a better fit? I'll look at their website.

View attachment 150462

After further inspection I would need to open up this hole, but idk if it is too close to the one above it.
View attachment 150463
Is there any reason you can use the bigger hole farther out on that Kimbrough horn?

It's a bit of a pain to get that spring back in, but I would do as you're doing, with the ends of the spring in the channel. Then while holding those ends there, use my other thumb to feed the spring in under my thumb.

If that is too difficult, try doing the same thing, but start with one end and work your way around.

Last edited:

View attachment 150462

View attachment 150463
You can do it. But it wo t be fun. That spring has to be compressed into the channel.
Honestly I would tie a strung threw the spring get it into the channel. Then cut it loose. And slowly allow it to id into place. Those tiny springs are a bi*th to get back in...

Is there any reason you can use the bigger hole farther out on that Kimbrough horn?

It's a bit of a pain to get that spring back in, but I would do as you're doing, with the ends of the spring in the channel. Then while holding those ends there, use my other thumb to feed the spring in under my thumb.

If that is too difficult, try doing the same thing, but start with one end and work your way around.

I got the other hole drilled with plenty of space.

Rather than start 2,000,000 different threads asking stupid questions I figured I would just continue them here.

Shock towers, I see Rpm recommended a lot but in all honesty I was rather unimpressed with the transmission case so idk how well I can trust their shock towers. I'm thinking FLM?

Does anyone make a 17mm hex that doesn't add width? Every 17mm hex adapter I see adds width and I don't want to add more width as I am already wide modded.

I'm torn between 2.8 Badlands or 2.8 Trenchers LP.

Bodies, considering how popular the Rustler is I find the lack of bodies rather disturbing. I'll probably just get the Jconcepts Silverado or another clear stock one.

Rather than start 2,000,000 different threads asking stupid questions I figured I would just continue them here.

Shock towers, I see Rpm recommended a lot but in all honesty I was rather unimpressed with the transmission case so idk how well I can trust their shock towers. I'm thinking FLM?

Does anyone make a 17mm hex that doesn't add width? Every 17mm hex adapter I see adds width and I don't want to add more width as I am already wide modded.

I'm torn between 2.8 Badlands or 2.8 Trenchers LP.

Bodies, considering how popular the Rustler is I find the lack of bodies rather disturbing. I'll probably just get the Jconcepts Silverado or another clear stock one.
Don't have a Rustler, so not much help here, but Badlands aren't well suited for grass. The tread gets so much traction in grass it puts a lot of stress on the drivetrain. But for anything else, they are awesome tires. If you plan to run in grass, and your drivetrain can take it though, why not? The Trenchers I don't have any experience with, except me diggin around the interwebs and Youtube. I am actually wanting to grab a set for our Granite. They look like awesome tires, and better suited for grass bashing, which we do a lot of.

Last edited:
Never used RPM shock towers. If I break a stock shock tower on anything it usually gets replaced with aluminum.

Don't have a Rustler, so not much help here, but Badlands aren't well suited for grass. The tread gets so much traction in grass it puts a lot of stress on the drivetrain. But for anything else, they are awesome tires. If you plan to run in grass, and your drivetrain can take it though, why not? The Trenchers I don't have any experience with, except me diggin around the interwebs and Youtube. I am actually wanting to grab a set for our Granite. They look like awesome tires, snd better suited for grass bashing, which we do a lot of.

A vast majority of my bashing is gravel or dirt.
Never used RPM shock towers. If I break a stock shock tower on anything it usually gets replaced with aluminum.

Don't you have a Stampede and Rustler in your media gallery that both have Rpm rear shock towers? They were in the random media gallery when I jumped on yesterday.

Last edited:
A vast majority of my bashing is gravel or dirt.

Don't you have a Stampede and Rustler in your media gallery that both have Rpm rear shock towers? They were in the random media gallery when I jumped on yesterday.
Yeah, I feel like an idiot now. lol. I forgot all about those. The Pede is a shelf queen that I bought as a roller and it already had RPM shock towers on it. Both of my Rustlers have them too but I totally forgot because both of those builds were done more than 8 to 10 years ago. I never had any problem with them. I've never broken an RPM shock tower on my regular Rusty but my 100+MPH Rusty I think has broken a little bit of everything. RPM is really good about warrantying their parts though. I use the crap out of RPM a-arms on a lot of kits and they are the best. I've never used their transmission case so I have nothing for comparison between the two.

Well, the Badlands are what you want. Here is what they will do on the Granite in loose dirt...
I have MX28s on my Slashpede 4x4 and I really like how my dBoots Backflips grip on the gravel so I'll probably go with the 2.8 Badlands.
Yeah, I feel like an idiot now. lol. I forgot all about those. The Pede is a shelf queen that I bought as a roller and it already had RPM shock towers on it. Both of my Rustlers have them too but I totally forgot because both of those builds were done more than 8 to 10 years ago. I never had any problem with them. I've never broken an RPM shock tower on my regular Rusty but my 100+MPH Rusty I think has broken a little bit of everything. RPM is really good about warrantying their parts though. I use the crap out of RPM a-arms on a lot of kits and they are the best. I've never used their transmission case so I have nothing for comparison between the two.

Does it have a buttload of flex like the stock one?

I use Rpm a arms on everything too, only car that I have had constant issues with their a arms was my Typhon 3s, they would either turn into gullwings or break in the exact same spot every single time. But that car is a giant turd anyway something was always broken or the bearings in the motor would get crunchy after every run....

Last edited:
I have MX28s on my Slashpede 4x4 and I really like how my dBoots Backflips grip on the gravel so I'll probably go with the 2.8 Badlands.

Does it have a buttload of flex like the stock one?

I use Rpm a arms on everything too, only car that I have had constant issues with their a arms was my Typhon 3s, they would either turn into gullwings or break in the exact same spot every single time. But that car is a giant turd anyway something was always broken or the bearings in the motor would get crunchy after every run....
I mean there is some flex there. Thats kinda RPMs thing. It flexes instead of breaking. The rear tower doesn't have a ton of flex but the front one has plenty.

I mean there is some flex there. Thats kinda RPMs thing. It flexes instead of breaking. The rear tower doesn't have a ton of flex but the front one has plenty.
I have a theory that the flex in the shock tower is what causes the stock shock shafts to bend as I have no other explanation as to how I managed to bend both rear shafts while lightly running the Stampede around a track on 2s.

Not sure flex at the shock tower would cause shocks to bend more easily. I have a Jato that bent the shock shafts on a mild bump, and it has aluminum shock towers, aluminum chassis, etc. I am pretty sure it was just compression of the shocks quickly that caused it when I hit a small lip in the pavement.

The stock Traxxas shock shafts are crap, and I am pretty sure they are made from mild steel. Simply compressing them quickly would bend them, even if in a controlled test where the shocks were held perfectly straight I am guessing. I have Chinese shocks that have much stronger shafts in them.