Runs nice and cool one day, hot the next. Why?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the engine sits for too long idling an it just dies ,then the engine is loading up with fuel an chokes
itself out ,the Lsn maybe too rich!
If the engine revs up before it dies ,the Lsn is too lean!

Try to lean the Lsn about a width of a screw driver tip at a time an see if it will idle longer!

Also ,does it it heat up after full WOT or as it sits an idles?..🤔
It starts choking pretty much as soon as the lsn takes over, so few seconds after a WOT.
No reving, just dies.
I increased the idle gap instead, as it has a very good take off, and I like when I run a little rich on the lsn, makes the engine cool down quicker when idling.

It starts choking pretty much as soon as the lsn takes over, so few seconds after a WOT.
No reving, just dies.
I increased the idle gap instead, as it has a very good take off, and I like when I run a little rich on the lsn, makes the engine cool down quicker when idling.

I think that it may have something to do with a short Lsn needle or having a carb that has a long
Lsn needle ,one is harder to tune than the other!..🤔

I think that it may have something to do with a short Lsn needle or having a carb that has a long
Lsn needle ,one is harder to tune than the other!..🤔
No idea what type of carb Savage uses.
I am happy with how it runs now.

The truck has had very little use, I'd say maybe a gallon. Just broken in properly.
I usually run a tank out, so between 20-30 mins per tank.
Also, running in grass will put the temps up a bit too.

How hot is yours running?
Just let it go, make sure it sounds good, has smoke and have fun.
I haven’t been able to get a temp range mine is fairly new and I run it the same. Enjoying the new hobby for sure. Also I realize that when I put the body on my revo (after getting it running good) it runs like crap. I heard cutting the windshield helps? Thinking I need more air flow

I haven’t been able to get a temp range mine is fairly new and I run it the same. Enjoying the new hobby for sure. Also I realize that when I put the body on my revo (after getting it running good) it runs like crap. I heard cutting the windshield helps? Thinking I need more air flow
I also noticed that temps do go up slightly when body is on.
I cut a nice oval hole on all my rc windshieds with a dremel.

Hi Guys

I consider myself to be a good nitro rc tuner. Been doing it for around two years and can make any nitro car run well.
I have finally reached a stage, where I can tune by engine performance and sound, also temp guns I try not to use anymore, and can feel if too hot by touching the cooling head.

One issue has been bothering me for years!

Why does the engine run nice and cool one day, say around 100C and then the next day it goes up towards 130C, which to be hones gets worried a little and then I resort to constantly keep checking with a temp gun to see where its at?

For example. I ran my savage yesterday, it ran excellent, nice and cool, temps never went above 105C, and I thought, thats it, its tuned well, and next time it might only require some small adjustments on the HSN.
Today, I ran it again, and it ran at around 130C. I though this was too hot, and kept richening the HSN, but in the end the car was so rich that performance was clearly affected to the point of being sluggish and taking more time to shift into the second gear.
Point I am trying to make, no matter how much I richen it, it still runs hot! Temp drop is negligible.

Same thing happened with my Revo a while back, took it out the next day and temp was just going up and up!
The weather outside might have changed slightly, but as I said, no matter how rich, it still runs hot!

Is this normal, and should I just forget about the engine temp, it the car is running good?

can't be an air leak, because it would run hot every time I run it.

Thanks
Change in weather and humidity in the air have a lot to do with how the engine performs.

I think some days engines just get so hot, no matter how much you richen it.

Back