Runaway engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nconnon

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just got my dads old tmaxx classic. Took it to traxxas to get it repaired b/c it hadnt been run in several years. Just about everything has been replaced at this point; engine, transmitter, remote, linkages. Got it home tried to do the break in and had a runaway engine almost immediately. Full speed and if you pushed forward on the throttle on the controller it would stop the wheels but letting go it would crank back up and runaway again. Took it back to traxxas and they said it was the old servos so i got those replaced and they said they drove it around for half a tank. Took it home and had the exact same problem. I have been adjusting and readjusting for a few weeks trying to get it to run and i have gotten minimal changes at best. At this point i dont want to take it back to traxxas just to have them throw another part on it and still not have it work. I have put in more to get it fixed than a new one is worth. Does anyone have any ideas?

Couple things to check would be the throttle trim on your transmitter, make sure it is zeroed
and then look in the carb and make sure there is about a 1 mm gap in the carb barrel. I've used a paper clip to get gap just about where it needs to be.
Three is two or three guys here that are into nitro and they will give you some more suggestions. I'm not a nitro guy but I do have a couple of them. I'm into electric.

know-your-needles-step-3.jpg

Last edited:
In transporting the RC did you move the throttle trim knob?

I suspect the throttle is set in reverse.

was not aware traxxas had a walk in repair.hmm.. id check servo .from description sounds like ghost signals or faulty servo... remove throttle servo test it with a servo horn installed.
servos are cheap these days so who fixed rc?
60 degrees of sweep//.20 speed.
id test servo on a servo tester or the rc remote
looked up specs this servo will replace old th servo
https://www.amazon.com/PDI-2504MG-W...10+scale+servo+60+degree+swee,aps,284&sr=8-10

Last edited: