rs4 rtr3 2 speed trans help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrench234

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i just got my rs4 rtr3 that i ordered off of ebay today the transmission gears
did not look to be damaged when i got it,but i got the engine running
and tried to go and they stripped right away the car never went mot than
2 inches the gears appeared to be engaged ok maybe they were worn and i didnt notice or maybe i did something wrong i am not sure any help
would be appreciated thank you

wrench234 :bored:

The motor may have slipped and ended up a skew. check for tight connections. The engine a nd tranny should spin freely when mounted to each other.

everything seemed tight the engine does not seem to be adjustable the holes it is bolted to are not slotted ther are some slotted ones but it would not fit in these they are to wide
also when i am trying to start it raw fuel comes out of the exhaust is this normal
thanks

Sounds like the mesh was set to tight.Get some new gears and make sure the mesh is correct before you try driving it.I used to strip gears out in my SS all the time.Mainly mine would strip second but sometimes it would do both. Since it's an RTR3 the engine will not be adjustable. What gearing are you running?The gearing might not be right for this particular setup too.If I remeber right the factory gears on my SS were 18T/22T pinions and 47T/43T spur gears. Without the ability to adjust the engine location your gonna have to use these gears.

Last edited:
Its set way to rich or you are over primeing it.

thanks for the info i found that i was overpriming it i have got it to run fairly steady
by doing what it said in the book 3 turns counterclockwise from closed and adjust from there but it still drips raw fuel from the exhaust also i have found that the idle adjustment on the carb dosnt seem to have much impact on the idle but adjusting the throttle adjustment on the controller to back the idle down seems to work is this normal,also where can i get just the gears for the trans without having to buy the entire trans i have looked at tower hobbies and others just to find the entire assembly
and do they make them out of anything other than plastic preferably metal
thank you
wrench234

Hey man does your car have the HPI .15FE? If so you can purchase some HPI engine mounts(4$) that bolt to engine that allow you to use the adjustable slotted holes in the chassie. You can achieve a better gear mesh that way. As for the gears towerhobbies should have them,Look in your owners manual and find the part# for the gears,type that number into towers search function and they should pop up.The idle should be adjusted out on the carb linkage rather than trimming the radio,just pop the linkage off and give it a couple twist down untill you get a good idle.
Sorry forgot yours was rtr, the book dosnt show the gears.Heres the numbers you need:76843 & 76817 .

Last edited:
thanks,i am glad i found this forum everbody has been really helpfull
i was wondering if anyone could tell me why it is dripping fuel from the exhaust
when it is running its not just a spray its actually dripping out tried leaning out
mixture but was afraid to go to far any ideas thanks
it is .15fe

so fuel drips. it seems like its too rich.i remember when i got my evo it is aupposed to run rich and i let it run on my painting table and all my stuff was soo greasy. well back to the topic. do you have a temp gun? well if it has good low speed and top speed then thats what your carb should be set for. just make sure not to let your engine run past about 270 the lower the beeter but make sure it runs nice.