RS4 Exhaust Gasket Failure Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustangMan

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I was bashing in my local Best Buy parking lot with some friends Friday night and my RS4 Evo started to make this weird stuttering sound at full throttle... :wtf:

I wasn't sure what it was but packed it in for the night. When I took the body off Saturday morning I noticed oil all over the engine and that the exhaust gasket was gone and one of the header retaining screws was loose (while the other was still locktited) <--- Is that a word? :shrug:

I removed the header, cleaned everything up, and I'm about to reinstall, but was curious why the gasket blew out? :help:

I'm thinking the screw came loose and the oily exhaust soaked the gasket and ruined it, but I was wondering if maybe the engine got too hot or something? Is this gasket failure somewhat common?

It has happend to me before, I don't know how common it is or anything. Sorry I could help, just thought I'd tell you it happend to me.

That's cool, thanks for the response. I guess I better stock up on gaskets!

I put it back together (after porting it!) and the car seems to run fine, but after about 10-15 minutes of running I was getting that "gurgling" sound at part to full throttle again. I kept leaning out the LSN and HSN in small increments (maybe two adjustments each) and she was running around 230 degrees and hauling butt, but making that sound. Not sure what that's about either...

Thanks for the reply...

When one screw on the manifold loosened up, the pipe was no longer 'seated' flat against the engine. The exhaust leak eventually blew out the gasket.
You should routinely check those screws along with the basic maintenance check up.

that never happened to me. i killed a few gaskets before. maybe it was the heat form the engine hpi's gaskets arent all that high quality they feel like a piece of construction paper.

Yeah, I'll have to look at my LHS for some nice gaskets. Any thoughts on the "gurgling" sound though? Almost sounds like it is "drowning" in fuel?

I install longer header skrews and put locknuts on the header side. Never blow header gaskets again.