RPM Arms

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Nerd

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Today I wrecked my Losi 810 into a Savage--bad. I was going about 50mph and turned into the Savage (which was going about 30). I've had a lot of spills with this buggy--this one was nasty.

Below are some pics. Interestingly enough, the only part that gave way and is damaged in any shape is the RPM a-arm. They are heavier and have less flex. I just wanted to try them out in that buggy and ironically was going to revert to stock after this run. This simply showed me RPM A-arms are not as hard to give way as they claim. I have two other sets in my bashers. I understand anything can break, but when all other parts hold up and their's is the one to give up when you have to sacrifice weight and performance to use them. Not good. While this was an ugly crash...I've had much worse with the stock, and never a problem with them.

Before I ferret some of you out, I'm not bashing RPM. ;-) I have products they make other than A-Arms and have been satisfied with those. Simply telling you my experience. I was very surprised myself, as I assumed they were more durable than this. I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Your stock part would NOT have held up in that crash. Look at that wheel,any arm attached to it would have been damaged. Has nothing to do with RPM vs Stock,it's simply the severity of the crash.

Good work BTW - fix and repeat :thumbup:

Today I wrecked my Losi 810 into a Savage--bad. I was going about 50mph and turned into the Savage (which was going about 30). I've had a lot of spills with this buggy--this one was nasty.

Below are some pics. Interestingly enough, the only part that gave way and is damaged in any shape is the RPM a-arm. They are heavier and have less flex. I just wanted to try them out in that buggy and ironically was going to revert to stock after this run. This simply showed me RPM A-arms are not as hard to give way as they claim. I have two other sets in my bashers. I understand anything can break, but when all other parts hold up and their's is the one to give up when you have to sacrifice weight and performance to use them. Not good. While this was an ugly crash...I've had much worse with the stock, and never a problem with them.

Before I ferret some of you out, I'm not bashing RPM. ;-) I have products they make other than A-Arms and have been satisfied with those. Simply telling you my experience. I was very surprised myself, as I assumed they were more durable than this. I hope this helps someone.

Whats wrong with the arm? Idont see the break.

And your more then welcome to send me the buggy if you dont want it lol. I could use a real buggy lol.

Your stock part would NOT have held up in that crash. Look at that wheel,any arm attached to it would have been damaged. Has nothing to do with RPM vs Stock,it's simply the severity of the crash.

Fair enough. I cannot prove the if the stock ones would have held up or not. I do know the stock ones have been through much, much worse and have held up (and of course you cannot compare crashes). I'm sure you know Losi is as durable as it gets. We have yet to break a single Losi part except for a radio tray. I wasn't happy with the RPM arms anyway as they were too rigid.

Good work BTW - fix and repeat :thumbup:
Oh, I'll fix, but hopefully won't repeat. ;-)

See where I'm pointing...that piece bent out. There are two screws that go from the outside into some bushings that hold the carrier. They were both stripped out. The carrier/spindle/shaft, etc. were fine.

And your more then welcome to send me the buggy if you dont want it lol. I could use a real buggy lol.
No way, Jose (couldn't resist). The 810 is my ALL-TIME favorite rc vehicle...it's the one I will always have.

Below is a pic milliseconds after it happened. You can see how the carrier was stripped out. Ugh

Last edited:
RPM parts are more durable than any stock part regardless of who makes it. Not only that but RPM parts come with a lifetime warranty so send it in and get it replaced IMO

Plastic was never intended to withstand a 50 mph impact plain and simple. It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, IMO.
But at much lower speeds I found that my RPM arms actually flex and absorb impact better than my rigid, brittle stock arms which simply sheared off, inflicting more damage to other components..

@ Nitro Nerd, I think you walked away relatively unscathed considering the speed involved. How much damage did the Savage receive?
That's a great crash pic BTW. :dance:

Last edited:
I wonder if RPM changed anything lately, I've been bashing on my first RPM bumper for almost 3 yrs now but my newest one snapped on it's first crash. My fist one has seen many bad jumps, failed back flips, and hard hits; I've nailed trees, curbs, walls, other RCs, car tires and it's still going strong. The one that snapped failed in a "fender bender" compared to my other crashes. How cold was it? Plastic gets brittle as the temp drops.

RPM parts are more durable than any stock part regardless of who makes it.

Of course as that is their intent. At a certain point durability does become a liability (else everyone would have 100% alum parts). Notice most of their parts are for Traxxas, HPI, etc. You don't see them make parts such as this for Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent, etc. The A-arms on my Mugen are just as durable (if not more durable) than any of the RPM a-arms I have. Actually the Hyper 7 ones I have are probably more durable. If they were to make A-arms for a Mugen buggy...they would only do so as there is a need to be more durable than the stock ones--but there is no need.

Not only that but RPM parts come with a lifetime warranty so send it in and get it replaced IMO
I will get a replacement just to have them, but am reverting back to stock. As noted, I did not like the feel of them on my 810. I do like some of their parts and use other things (some rod ends, camber gauge, etc.). I prefer T-Bone Racing and DE Racing much more, however.

Example: I have a rear RPM Skid Plate for my Losi 810 chassis. It was like $8.00. It's VERY thick...but unfortunately also VERY heavy.

I got a DE Racing skid plate for my Mugen buggy. They cost the same amount as the RPM. They are about half as thick, and obviously much lighter. The difference...they come in three's. So as/if one wears (and I'm still using the first one) I can simply switch out.

Plastic was never intended to withstand a 50 mph impact plain and simple. It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, IMO.
I've had quite a few, okay--a LOT--of high speed crashes. I once crashed the same buggy into a brick mailbox (mid-air) about about 40 mph. But yes I agree no product is indestructible.

@ Nitro Nerd, I think you walked away relatively unscathed considering the speed involved. How much damage did the Savage receive?
That's a great crash pic BTW. :dance:
Man, I sure did. The sound was MUCH worse. I really thought it was the hinge pins and immediately was going to conact Mitch Looper at M2C to make me some custom ones--cause I'm not having that. Then I saw it was the RPM arms and laughed as I was changing them out anyway.

As for the Savage...not a scratch (that I am aware of). I got what was coming, however. We were just bashing and I kept teasing him as he'd do speed runs I let him get 30 feet away I'd punch it and fly by him (my 810 is FAST!!). ;-) This one time I got too close (and actually hit the Savage--it was my fault).

Anyway, interesting stuff...I am fanatical about breaking parts (especially in racing as it is a war of attrition) and am hellbent on find ways it never happens again. I do believe this was one of those freak things.

Finally, I wonder if the spoked wheel played a part? In other words if something got caught in the spokes? Ironically I NEVER use spoked wheels, but did this one time because I did not want to use any of my dish wheels. I wonder had I been using dish if it would have been prevented. To note: the wheels were not that jacked (I had to pry them so I could take the hex nut off) but they were about 80% of the damage u see on them. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Notice most of their parts are for Traxxas, HPI, etc. You don't see them make parts such as this for Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent, etc. The A-arms on my Mugen are just as durable (if not more durable) than any of the RPM a-arms I have. Actually the Hyper 7 ones I have are probably more durable. If they were to make A-arms for a Mugen buggy...they would only do so as there is a need to be more durable than the stock ones--but there is no need.

That's because that's where the $$ is, the average person who gets a RC will get one of the top 3 RTR brands (Traxxas, HPI or Losi), not a race level rig. Your typical new guy looking to get into the hobby will more than likely go to a LHS after seeing a Traxxas ad on Speed or any other Motorsport related show/event.

That's because that's where the $$ is, the average person who gets a RC will get one of the top 3 RTR brands (Traxxas, HPI or Losi), not a race level rig. Your typical new guy looking to get into the hobby will more than likely go to a LHS after seeing a Traxxas ad on Speed or any other Motorsport related show/event.

Maybe we are saying the same thing. If there were a need for RPM products on higher-end race vehicles - I assume RPM would make "more durable" parts for them. Racers are not shy to throw money on their vehicles...I'm sure you know that. There are plenty of manufacturers who make upgrades for race level vehicles, but I personally don't think "any RPM product" is more durable than "any stock part" regardless of vehicle. Said differently. The RPM arms for my Losi 810 are not more durable than the stock arms on my Mugen.

If there were a need for RPM products on higher-end race vehicles - I assume RPM would make "more durable" parts for them.

You're kidding right?

---------- Post added at 4:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:08 PM ----------

There are plenty of manufacturers who make upgrades for race level vehicles, but I personally don't think "any RPM product" is more durable than "any stock part" regardless of vehicle. Said differently. The RPM arms for my Losi 810 are not more durable than the stock arms on my Mugen.

So you're suggesting not to use RPM products? Replace the cheap plastic part from an RTR with the same exact part

RPM products have a place on most rc’s, knowing what part and when to use them is the key … Arms, towers, axle carriers, do not get installed on my race rigs. I will use the bumpers and skid/wear plates if applicable.
On most large MT’s the suspension parts have too much flex, on the smaller 1/8th scale buggy’s, not enough or too much depending on the rc its fitted to.
Some of the smaller rc’s you can deck them out with full rpm and not have any issues but, for example: I can install a set of rpm axle carrier on a TMaxx and I can pop a pivot ball through the carrier in less than a tank of fuel if I tried, whereas the stock carriers with the steel rings will hold up very well and I would probably break something else before the pivot ball popped through.
Each rig/driver is different as to if the rpm product is a suitable replacement and/or will it perform up to the expectations of the driver in a given situation.

I’ve said for years that rpm is not a better part replacement for some stock parts; then again some are better. JMO.

There are plenty of manufacturers who make upgrades for race level vehicles, but I personally don't think "any RPM product" is more durable than "any stock part" regardless of vehicle. Said differently. The RPM arms for my Losi 810 are not more durable than the stock arms on my Mugen.

You're kidding right?
So you're suggesting not to use RPM products? Replace the cheap plastic part from an RTR with the same exact part

I ask that you please re-read what I wrote before you begin twisting my words. I stated I do not feel RPM parts are as durable as ANY stock part regardless of vehicle. I gave a very clear and precise example (read last sentence you quoted me on).

I also stated that I preferred the stock a-arms for my Losi 810 over the RPM ones due to the lack of flex, after trying both out. What is wrong with that? The stock ones have held up well after gallons and gallons of bashing/racing and provide me the precise suspension I'm looking for. The RPMs disallowed me to get the suspension I wanted, and bent after a few tanks (although I conceded it was most likely a freak accident). Are you saying that is not the right move?

Snook Man--you nailed. it. :first_place:

Last edited:
They work on the Nitro Rusty, I snapped a few stockers but my RPM have been lasting for years now.....just FYI

They work on the Nitro Rusty, I snapped a few stockers but my RPM have been lasting for years now.....just FYI

And you know what? That is ALL that matters. Call it like you see it, man. I respect that all day. I don't own a Rustler...but if I did I would certainly take the advice of guys such as yourself who do own one, and try out some RPM arms. You will be hard-pressed to find anyone in this hobby more willing to try new things such as myself. I am open and willing to anything I've yet tested out. When I do test it out, I provide my honest feedback. This is all I'm trying to do. Share my experience so others can have some insight to a specific product/vehicle. I have no agenda or favorites, simply sharing what I've learned.

I won't get into my thoughts on RPM arms and the Savage X 4.6. Ha (good and bad).

Last edited:
Of course as that is their intent. At a certain point durability does become a liability (else everyone would have 100% alum parts). Notice most of their parts are for Traxxas, HPI, etc. You don't see them make parts such as this for Mugen, Kyosho, Serpent, etc. The A-arms on my Mugen are just as durable (if not more durable) than any of the RPM a-arms I have. Actually the Hyper 7 ones I have are probably more durable. If they were to make A-arms for a Mugen buggy...they would only do so as there is a need to be more durable than the stock ones--but there is no need.

I'm confused...Your original post says that RPM arms arent as durable as the stock ones and then you seem to turn around and contradict yourself by agreeing with me that of course RPM parts are more durable as that is the companies intent. I understand that your preference is to use stock ones over RPM and thats totally up to you. whatever works for ya but I'm confused as to your stance on the durability and quality of RPM parts. in the first post you seemed to be saying they werent as good quality as the stock ones.

The reason they dont have RPM arms for Mugens, Kyoshos, Sepents etc is because theres not much of a market for them and therefore very little room for profit. If Mugens were as widely owned as Traxxas or Losi kits youd see aftermarket parts flying out the wazoo for them.

Dont get me wrong though I'm not trying to argue with you I'm just trying to understand what it was you were originally saying about RPM parts beyond the part where in the case of your 810 you prefer the stock arms. Come to think of it buggy arms probably arent a good point of comparison anyway as the nature of a buggy makes it very durable anyway.

I'm confused...Your original post says that RPM arms arent as durable as the stock ones and then you seem to turn around and contradict yourself by agreeing with me that of course RPM parts are more durable as that is the companies intent. I understand that your preference is to use stock ones over RPM and thats totally up to you. whatever works for ya but I'm confused as to your stance on the durability and quality of RPM parts. in the first post you seemed to be saying they werent as good quality as the stock ones.

No worries--apologies if it seemed like I contradicted myself. However, I don't believe I stated in my original post (or any post I can recollect) that the Losi 810 stock ones were more durable than the RPM ones. What is leading you to that conclusion---so I can clear it up?

The stock have had plenty of crashes and have held up well, and as mentioned I feel TLR is as durable as it gets (comparing like vehicles). I cannot speak for anyone else, but I keep my vehicles only two ways: strong as an ox and smooth as silk. If I see a problem part, I will spare nothing at fixing it - the right way. My 810 A-arms have been smooth and durable. My RPM A-arms (which had < 1 percent the run time) broke and were hindering the buggy's suspension. These are merely facts. If the stock A-arms ever become a problem, I would address it-know that. I would be incredibly shocked if that happened, however, as I assure you that it has had some of the nastiest crashes you've seen. My son slammed into a brick wall head on going 45+ once, and also jumped off the track--as in OFF the property into oncoming traffic--but I've had some really bad ones I don't even want to think about with my 810. She is TOUGH!

Perhaps it is the fact I noted I was going to revert back to stock? If so, note I stated I made that decision prior to the the RPM one giving out - so durability had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Anyway, let me know where I stated the 810 ones were more durable (or even alluded to it) and I'll elaborate on it so it is clear,.

Or, was it when I stated I feel that the Mugen and OFNA Hyper 7 stock A-arms are just as durable as any RPM A-arms I've tried. Was that it? To my knowledge, RPM does not make A-arms for those vehicles, and understand why as those "stock" A-arms are incredibly durable so there is little demand from people wanting stronger a-arms for those vehicles.

And you are correct, I did say that IF RPM decided to make arms for those Mugen or Hyper 7 (or any product in which it does not have parts)...I would expect them to be more durable. That that is their business model, correct?. Of course at certain point durability become a liability (see alum arms)...so why create something where there is no demand?

The reason they dont have RPM arms for Mugens, Kyoshos, Sepents etc is because theres not much of a market for them and therefore very little room for profit. If Mugens were as widely owned as Traxxas or Losi kits youd see aftermarket parts flying out the wazoo for them.

Oh, I'm sure there is definite truth to that, but don't feel it is the sole reason. I see it in terms of need. I'm glad you noted 'Losi kits' as that is a very good example. How many parts does RPM make for the Losi 8ight 2.0 vs the Mini 8ight or LST? I would wager there are as many (if not more) 8ight 2.0's sold than those vehicles...but there is not a need for RPMs products on the 8ight 2.0. Same with the OFNA Hyper 7. That buggy is incredibly popular--certainly enough to "make a profit" if there were a specific aftermarket part need. Hopefully that makes sense - I can go on and on, but really am trying to be succinct (whcih is hard for me sometimes).

I also don't really feel there is/was a need for RPM products on the 810 (it's really for the SCTE). The only reason I put them on was that I bought them a while back (I stocked up when it was discontinued) and just wanted to try them. This, as opposed with my Savage (where I did brake the stock arm) so am trying RPMs on it - at a bit of a cost.

I'm confused as to your stance on the durability and quality of RPM parts.
I don't see any RPM parts being a "must have" on any of the vehicles I own. I want to ensure no one misreads that. ;-) Please no one respond with "So you're saying RPM sucks???????" or things such as that. I know I can be long-winded, but guys, PLEASE read my posts before responding. I do think that RPM is very good for the hobby. I feel they cater to the novice hobbyist, and I **assume** a number of people that use their parts are because they heard from someone who heard you're not running right if you don't use them (as opposed with actually breaking that part and THEN upgrading--as I mistakenly did in this instance ). However, that is no different from a lot of aftermarket manufactuers. Finally, in MY experience, 100% of the parts I've used--again, this is just me--came at a performance cost. Consequently, they are right for some vehicles, and not for others---and this is good discussion to learn other people's experience with them.

Last edited:
One edit to my last paragraph above (for those who fought through it ;-)....

I forgot about the RPM skid plate for my Savage. That IS a must have for it. I once hit a bump going ~30 and landed on a jagged rock right on the skid plate...had it not been for it, I imagine much of the internals would have been smashed to smithereens. Below is bouncing off the rock after hitting it. Not even a SCRATCH on the RPM skid plate

Last edited:
Back