rolling while idling

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingape

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I noticed yesterday when I started up my t maxx that would just slowly start rolling while idling. I figured it to be possibly 1 of 2 things, either the break is loose or the slipper clutch is to tight which is causing it to roll from the vibration while idling. Do you guys think its either one of those things that I listed? Can yall think of any other possible issues that could be causing it to roll while idling? Id really appreciate the help

Put it up with tires off the ground while its running. If the tires are turning while idling then your idle may just be too high. Make sure your throttle trim on the radio is zeroed out get the engine warmed up to running temps of 220-230 and see if its still doing it. No need in trying to tune or mess with the idle until its warmed up or your just gonna be retuning it again after it is warmed up. Also another reason for it rolling at idle is your clutch spring could be damaged, worn out and weak or broken causing the clutch to engage at idle. Is this something that just started happening or have you made any changes in tune to cause higher idle?

This just recently started happening after a few tune adjustments

i would say it would be just ur idle or worn clutch spring. Dought it is a broke spring cause i dont think u would barely get it started on the ground, and stii would be tuff off the ground, i would know i broke a bunch of them b4 i smartened up and got a good 3 shoe aluminum setup.

Thanks for the input! Would you happen to know what is a really good upgrade that will solve this issue

I've heard nothing but bad things about integy though. After some searching I've seen this part recommended by alot of people so I'm guessing this is one of few things integy actually got right. I'm going to order it this weekend or see if one of my local hobby shops has it. Anything else you'd possibly recommend?

yeah, that's why I mentioned that as I had read the same from quite a few people that bought the integy clutch and had good success with it.

You could always just stick with stock and keep a second one on hand.

I tried the MIP clutch using the holes further from the end when I had a maxx. Worked pretty good due to it requiring you to rev a bit higher to get it to engage. Made it a bit more snappy off the line.

I've also read people really liking M2C Racing clutch as well, but I never ran it personally.

Got me thinking I might try a better clutch now haha

If you just tuned it is it possible that you leaned out the low speed needle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this statement,...you said that this started after a tuning adjustment,so I would say that she is a bit lean on the bottom,...warm her up and then make a few good passes then bring her in for the pinch test

transmited from a mobile communications device

Cool Ill take a look at this today....ill let yall know the results! thanks for the help

You can get a hot racing flywheel and 3 shoe aluminum clutch set off ebay for $15.88 shipped. I just installed one on my picco .26 max that goes on my tmaxx. Have not run it yet but I've had great luck with everything else i bought from hot racing.

Integys clutch is ok at best, imo. The ends of the aluminum shoes keep needing maintenance do to the aluminum bending over and creating a hook. I have been using the buku adjustable racing clutch and have had no problems at all none.
Here is pict of the integy clutch after only 3or 4 tanks, notice all the scraping on the shoe. The 3rd pict is the buku after a gallon, still lools like new, if you dont don't mind spending the money i would go with buku..

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

So I made some adjustments closed up the carb and it still seems like its idling high on its own. Once that starts it wants to accelerate on its own also. I checked the batteries they are all fresh and fully charged. I notice the clutch bell is vibrating a lot to the point of turning on its own without giving it any throttle. Could that really be the issue? Could a broken clutch bell cause this?

You can get a hot racing flywheel and 3 shoe aluminum clutch set off ebay for $15.88 shipped. I just installed one on my picco .26 max that goes on my tmaxx. Have not run it yet but I've had great luck with everything else i bought from hot racing.

Dude I had the hot racing one and it crapped out on me quik,so the clutch and the shocks from them are crap,but everything else i have from them is good

transmited from a mobile communications device

i would take a look at ur clutch bell bearings. Maybe ones on its way out and sticking a bit. I owned hot racing 3 shoe and the integy 3 shoe. Seemed to wear about the same. Didnt seem to last a real long time time, but i smoothed out the tips of them every once in a while and seemed to work fine. I just actually purchased the M2C setup and am about to try them out tomorrow. But they are on the pricey side. I wouldnt hesitate to buy the integy setup for the price though.

A weak clutch spring could be your problem. I bet the problem you are having is a high idle. What needle are you adjusting to lower the idle? Also if your tuning is to lean it will surge (up down uuuuup down).

A weak clutch spring could be your problem. I bet the problem you are having is a high idle. What needle are you adjusting to lower the idle? Also if your tuning is to lean it will surge (up down uuuuup down).

Yup i would richen the low speed needle just a hair and see if that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bad bearing will so will a weak clutch spring set the bell to spinning.
If it's idling high fatten(richen) up the LSN to bring the idle down.

Back