Roll cages

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinkingrob10

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Whats your guys opinions on roll cage. I dont know if I want to get one.

A roll bar over the engine is a good idea. Roll cages seem to get in the way and get bent all to heck easily. A solid roll bar will save your engine in a hard crash on the lid.

yah just go with a roll bar!!! SAve you the troubles of a whole CAGe

I disagree I have had my Rc solutions cage on my Revo for a year now and can get to everything I need to without taking the cage off. Also when reinforcing whether it is 1-1 or Rc's it's all about mounting points and spreading the impact for heavy landings. Most good cages will mount at 6-8 points on the frame spreading out the roof landing, generally roll bars only mount in a couple of spots leaving the chassis stressed unevenly. I started with a roll bar but after a bent chassis I realized that I live too close to the skate park for Roll bars:D Also in the 5 million beating I gave it over the last year it is only scraped, no bends at all despite my best efforts.

Last edited:
Back on the subject I am not saying that Roll bars don't have their place, it just a level of protection that you are looking for. My LST2 has a Roll bar on it and it is the perfect application for the way it gets driven. My Revo w/ the cage on the other hand gets the snot driven out of it on a weekly basis and is my go to truck for big air stupid stuff:D just my point of view and that is what he asked for...

Syphon, do you have the 3.3 revo or the 2.5 revo?

The reason I ask is that the RCS cage's rear is relatively weak if it's a side impact of any type due to the length of the gap between supports.

The are great cages if you land directly on the roof though. Would be nice if they would let you buy the pieces you destroy vs replacing the whole cage.

Although, I am basing my experience off of having an RCS cage on a savage, which is a taller and heavier rig in general. I folded that thing up like a pretzel. It did it's job though. Didn't loose an engine, but the cage was toast.

I tend to go with roll bars now. Usually some roll bar I come up with that uses stock roll bars or just flat out my own, like on my aftershock. Usually not pretty, but like you, I drive hard and it's great to go burn a gallon of fuel and not have the day ended due to an engine ripped in half or shock tower snapping.

A roll bar over the engine is a good idea. Roll cages seem to get in the way and get bent all to heck easily. A solid roll bar will save your engine in a hard crash on the lid.
k thanks can I have a link to a good roll bar?

Olds I have the 2.5 chassis, hearing that you were able to fold yours up kind of leaves me feeling like I didn't try hard enough:D I just thought about it Olds and on the Revo the stock body mounts are chopped down to snuggly fit between those uprights and then fastened with 4 screws, so I am assuming that would make it a bit more durable.

It looks like New Era has an assortment of Roll bars here...

http://www.neweramodels.com/cgi-bin/inccatalog.cgi?h=y&fitlist=1065&shortlist=1#

Last edited:
Nah, I just didn't have the back of a body protecting it, but really I don't think it would have mattered with how it landed. The ground was somewhat soft clay, so any impact with anything dug in and the clay was so dense that it gave just enough to let the cage dig into it.
2005-0917-BentRCSCage.JPG

Then I went with this:
2006-0218-SavageTankSide.jpg

And now, this:
2009-0504-SavageLosiPipe.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really nice Olds, definately my next roll bar/cage I will have to get out the welder and give it a shot.