Roll Cage

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edlarge

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello all

So first post here hope you can help.

I have a savage 3.5, i am setting up for maximum acceleration

i am running 13/49 - still dosnt wheelie (think needs a little more tuning)

as i run off road and jumps i was wondering if it was worth fitting a roll cage?

if so what is a good one and where is a good place to get one form?

Many thanks

Ed

One of your problems is the engine. The 3.5 is a .21 engine....not going to get many wheelies with that sadly. As far as roll cages...how much you looking to spend? They are ok but add a lot of extra weight.

as far as Roll cages go the best I have used are the RC solutions, they have lots of mounting points to the frame and can take a beating. I have one on my Revo and it has survived many backflip roof landings from 10+ feet without a scratch, haven't mounted one on my Savage yet just cause they are $100. here is the link.

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/product_p/rc+062.htm

do i need a full roll cage do you think? or is there something smaller that would work, also something that isnt too heavy. also not looking to spend lots of money.

do i need a full roll cage do you think? or is there something smaller that would work, also something that isnt too heavy. also not looking to spend lots of money.

aren't we all.

I have a savage SS with the RCsolutions roll cage. They are expensive but are an excellent up grade. With one of these installed about the only thing you can hurt are the controll arms. It does make access to components harder to get to. Hope this helps.

Well, instead of a cage, you can always upgrade your roll bar at least. Not quite as costly and doesn't protect the entire chassis as well, but they do help more than the stock piece of flat aluminum you have.

New Era makes a really nice one... or two.

This is the cheaper one:
http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?session_id=&part_id=2510

Mounts from center to front. Far less likely to deform on impact and possibly cause your engine to take a hit.

This is a newer (newer to me anyway) one that they make that mounts center to rear to protect your engine more and keep your rear tower from moving forward on a rough rear landing:
http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi?session_id=&part_id=9549

More costly, but it'd be the one I'd buy if I needed one.

If their other one was made out of a bit fatter tube, I'd consider getting it and adding it to the one I made out of 5/16" steel bar. But I'm afraid if I drilled a couple holes in it where I'd need them, it would weaken it.

I ran one from them made the same way on my t-maxx many years ago and really, it was the only part on that truck I didn't bend or break. It did it's job and did it well.

I had an RC Solutions cage as well for a while, but I folded it up on a bad rear landing. It did it's job for many hits, but the rearward one killed it. Still, it kept my engine from taking the hit:
2005-0917-BentRCSCage.JPG

If I didn't have a longer than stock chassis now, I'd have that second one that goes to the rear from New Era.

Last edited:
I might look into making a delrin one like that this winter... I wonder what you have to use for heat to bend it though. Heat gun? Torch?