Roapex Renegade 1/8 Monster Truck Tire Review

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojobeans

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Test Vehicle:
  • 1/8 E-Revo 2.0
  • Stock motor (2200kv)
  • Mamba Monster 2 (Punch Control OFF)
  • 2-3s Traxxas LiPo's wired for 6s
Testing Surface:
  • Loose Dirt/Gravel
  • Snow/Ice
  • Dry/Wet Pavement
First Impressions:
Out of the box, if I'm being completely honest, I wasn't too impressed. Rubber compound seemed way too hard for it to get any kind of meaningful traction (more on that later). Glue job could've been done better as there was a lot of residue on the tires and the outside of the wheel, but seemed like it was glued on well and doesn't look like they will be coming unglued anytime soon on their own.

On a more positive note, the styling of the tread looks very promising. Lots of lugs, good spacing/placement and the tire itself feels like there is plenty of material there to help resist blowing out. Wheels look nice (Subjective, but I like the look of them) and are a standard 17mm hex, so they should fit a wide range of applications. Plastic compound on the wheels appear like they will hold up to some abuse, a little on the stiffer side, but still plenty of flex to absorb impacts from bashing.

Size wise, tire measurements on their product page are accurate, albeit a little a little wider in person, but not by much. For real world comparison, they are the same width as the stock 3.8 Talon EXT's, although much taller in diameter.

Testing:
Tires and wheels mounted up without a hitch and we were off to bashing. Being break-up season, I got a lot of different surfaces to test them out on. On the road, as you can imagine, grip was not an issue. They hooked up well to say the least and I didn't find myself skidding around on the pavement, in fact it was a lot easier to tip over now in comparison. In patches where the hard pack had melted, I was able to bomb around in loose gravel and hard packed dirt. These tires did fantastic, wheelies on command at just about any speed and turning became much easier as they had plenty of bite to pull the car into a turn instead of plowing. Snow and ice, you can only expect so much out of any kind of tire that isn't a paddle or studded. But with expectation set, they didn't do too bad. Do I prefer paddles or studded tires on this kind of terrain? Absolutely, but they did well enough that I still had fun and was able to hit some jumps with some pretty good speed. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of these tires despite, what seemed like at first, a relatively hard compound and I'm glad I didn't write them off in the hobby store when I was first looking at them.

Durability? Absolutely great... wheels held up great, even in the colder temperatures and after several big air jumps with both good and bad landings, not a single crack. Proline removable hex wheels typically explode when we drive them like this if you want a real world comparison for their strength. In fact, I'd say these are significantly more durable in every way. Tires held up well as well, they do balloon, not as bad as most though and not to a point you can no longer control the vehicle at WOT. No blowouts though and the glue held up well.

Final Thoughts:
Great styling and durable materials/design at an incredible value. I paid $45 a pair premounted at my LHS. Glue job could've been done cleaner at the factory, but for a basher tire, that doesn't really matter. Would I buy another set for another vehicle? Let's just put it this way, this is now my go to brand for premounted tires. Every basher in my fleet will be getting a set of tires from this company and I look forward to testing some different styles and sizes from them in the future. As I put some more time into them, I will be sure to update this thread if I come across any issues. But as of right now, they have my seal of approval, for what that is worth.

Back