Rival MT10 servo issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t know what to make of this reedy 15kg metal gear stock servo it’s doing bizarre things but when I’ve stripped the arms of it seems to be moving fine.
Did take some videos to post but can’t seem to do it , only allows photos

It's not unusual that the problem only shows when there's some load on the servo.

Does the steering move effortlessly without the servo connected?

Took some vids to show you guys but can’t work out how to upload anyone know how to attach videos?
Yea when the servo arm os removed the reedy moves no problem

Don’t know what to make of this reedy 15kg metal gear stock servo it’s doing bizarre things but when I’ve stripped the arms of it seems to be moving fine.
Did take some videos to post but can’t seem to do it , only allows photos
Post the vids to YouTube and paste the link to them in your reply.

O.K. on the vid. That's a big help. Servo shake is not unusual in an unloaded mode, e.g., with the truck on a test stand. Try moving the transmitter (aka Controller) further away from the truck. The shake may go away. Big thing is does not do the shimmy when sitting upright on the ground.

Can't be 100% sure on viewing the vid but looks like the servo arm has a lot more travel left (CCW) than to the right (CW). Perhaps this is necessary due to the steering set up on the MT10? Is the stg trim and D/R centered in the vid? If so, possible the servo horn (arm) is off a spline and allowing too much arc to the left. Try removing the arm carefully and moving it 1 or 2 splines in a direction that will center the steering movement.

Having to set in a lot of stg trim to get the truck to go straight is usually an indication a re-set of the servo arm on the spline shaft of the servo is in order.

Oh, and if you go with an aftermarket servo, be sure it has a 25T spline listed in the specs so your AE steering horn will still fit.

Hope this helps. Cheers. 'AC'

I think the servo needs replacing it never made these sounds before and I literally have to have it turned down to 50% for it to not make buzzing .
Going to give it a spin out now and see what it’s like on 50%

Looking at the video, the servo horn is hitting the chassis at both ends. No wonder it buzzes!

Turn the d/r down until it doesn’t touch the chassis at either end and try again. Mine is set to 4 on the stock tx.

The steering knuckles have limited throw and steering should be limited from the tx until they just touch full lock. This is a basic thing you have to ensure with any servo and any vehicle.

^ very much this!

180 degrees is more than enough for any surface RC. Usually the horn doesn't even sweep 90°.

So after wasting money on a new servo I have worked out that it’s not the servo and I’m actual fact the stupid servo saver that has to be 2.5 mm otherwise it warps the full steering. Problem is it’s a bigger to adjust and I can’t get it right .
Is it time for a model shop or do I keep persevering???

Just an update.
Managed to fix the Rival MT10 it was a faulty servo.
Ordered and fitted Etronix 32kg part number ET2063.
Works like a dream. Also managed to get the servo saver sorted and stuck abit of glue on the thread to stop it coming out as advised by RC razor ok YouTube .
Hopefully this will help others .
From a learning point of view if I had of checked my end points and adjusted accordingly the stock servo would probably still working fine so for any newbies make sure you are not maxing out on them D/R and only take it to the limit of the car.
If you see it bashing off the plastic dial it down .

Last edited:
I got one of power hobbys 209mg, it was 50$ and crazy fast for mt10 just enough torque for the lil truck. Best $50 I’ve spent in a long time