rims

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk6672

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I was told before that you don’t tape buggy tires like MT tires, and I didn’t. I never did ask about the rims, I have three sets of rims now (only one that has tires mounted) and the first two I got dont have the air holes in the rims, only two spots on the opposite sides that look like they are made to punch through if you prefer. Well, I didn’t punch the holes and I’m wondering if I should have done so. I wasn’t a very good tire gluer with the MT’s and that why I preferred bead locks, I guess, since every set I’ve glues seem to come apart. Now that I’m using a buggy I have no choice but to glue and I did what I thought I needed to do to properly glue them and it seems I failed (slightly roughen up rim surface to create a better bond, and using JC concepts wheel bands). Today two of my tires ballooned up and stayed that way and the only reason I can think this happened is that I have a small area that isn’t sealed with the superglue and no air hole. If I need to punch the air hole would acetone harm the tire inserts while soaking to removing the super glue?

You are correct about not needing to tape buggy tires, but you will still need an air hole. I do not understand why you need to remove the tire from the wheel though. Can you not just drill a small hole from the inside of the rim to get ventilation?

Punch the hole in the tire not the rim. It prevents dirt from entering the tire.

Punch the hole in the tire not the rim. It prevents dirt from entering the tire.

Wouldn't that cause a weak spot for tire failure?

Lots of buggy tires come pre punched with holes. I get the best results when Heating an ice pick up and melting the holes in tires that dont have them.

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't soak the wheels or tires!!!!! Place Acetone in the bottom of a bucket. Add a Brick or Block, then a small screen like a cookie cooling rack (thanks honey). Place tires on the rack then lid the bucket. It is my understanding the Fumes eat the glue, but acetone will also do damage to the tires and wheels and for sure the foams!if they get soaked!

Lots of buggy tires come pre punched with holes. I get the best results when Heating an ice pick up and melting the holes in tires that dont have them.

do you poke the tread or the sidewall?

In the center of the tread. (4) approx 3/32” holes spaced evenly around the circumference.
DSC07745.gif

Thanks guys. So don't drill the holes in the rim, just poke the holes in the tires?

Back