Rim color?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mastio

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I don't know if this is the right forum, but it has to do with my savage. Anyways, the chrome has come off of my rims and now I'm looking to paint them, i was wondering if anyone had any sugestions for color or pics of what they've done with their stock savage rims :D

Guessing your talking about plastic chrome? If you wore real chrome off then your my all time hero of bashing.

I'm not using stock rims, but I like the matte black look.
ae6edb75-1137-389e.jpg

Personally I would dye them rather than painting them. Paint will also scratch and chip off. Using rit dye will keep them looking better much longer.

Ah yes, I d heard of dyeing plastics and aluminum. Do you have to boil plastic to get the dye to hold?

You bring the dye to a low boil, then put the rims in. since the only color I really dye anything I will leave it in quite a while so it gets a nice dark black. If you don't leave it in long enough it will have a purply look to it. I also prefer the liquid rit dye over the dry stuff.

Hmm, I've never heard of dying them :) what kind of dye would be used?

Never mind, you said rit dye lol. What would a good amount of water/dye should be used?

Last edited:
I have also been thinking of peeling off the remaining plastic chrome and recoloring my rims. Is there a particular type of paint that should be used that wont peel off very easily, instead of dying the plastic? I have heard of Krylon spray paint, would this be the one to use?

Last edited:
There is special paint made for plastics, but honestly what makes the biggest difference in a good paint job vs a crap one is the prep work. Clean, sand, tape, then apply even coats allowing each to dry before next coat.

I have also been thinking of peeling off the remaining plastic chrome and recoloring my rims. Is there a particular type of paint that should be used that wont peel off very easily, instead of dying the plastic? I have heard of Krylon spray paint, would this be the one to use?

Getting the chrome off is easy, just use original easy off oven cleaner, the one in the yellow can, I have used it to strip fake chrome off bumpers, rims, model parts, just about any chrome plated plastic it will easily remove the chrome and not damage the plastic at all.

I still prefer dying over painting, but if you are set on painting I would use Krylon Fusion as it is made to bond to plastics.

Back