Revo starting problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledman3064

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a revo 3.3 with a O.S 18tm engine and 17mm wheels and a sway bar setup the problem I am having is when I try to start it with the ez-start it will only stay running while the button is pushed and it has a lot of white exhaust smoke. Please help

I have a revo 3.3 with a O.S 18tm engine and 17mm wheels and a sway bar setup the problem I am having is when I try to start it with the ez-start it will only stay running while the button is pushed and it has a lot of white exhaust smoke. Please help

If it has a lot of white smoke ,then its probably too rich on the HSN needle tune causing the glow-plug to
flame out ,in which the engine is loading up with too much fuel!

So try leaning the HSN needle setting about a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn in ,as you do so ,blip the throttle a little
to help clear out any access fuel!...:cool:

If it has a lot of white smoke ,then its probably too rich on the HSN needle tune causing the glow-plug to
flame out ,in which the engine is loading up with too much fuel!

So try leaning the HSN needle setting about a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn in ,as you do so ,blip the throttle a little
to help clear out any access fuel!...:cool:
I will give that a try

Thanks I will try that

Are you giving it any throttle when trying to start? I see a lot of newer guys try starting with the throttle sitting at idle and it starts, dies, starts, dies... giving a little throttle while your trying to start will give it a chance to pick up momentum and build heat which keeps it running.

Pumping the throttle of these does nothing when the engine is off. I've seen new guys do that too, like an old carbureted car. They pump the throttle 3-4 times, then try to start it. That does nothing useful for you.

You have to open the throttle a bit while trying to start. Sometimes having 3 hands helps until you get the hang of things. You can adjust the trim on your transmitter so it opens the throttle a bit. Then try to start, once running, you can adjust the trim back down.

That said, the traxxas ez-start doesn't heat the plug at all before pumping cold fuel/air into the engine. I always found that even with an ez-start, using an external glow heater works best. Then you can get the plug good and warmed up before turning the engine over. All you have to do is disconnect the blue wire from the plug and wrap tape around it so it doesn't touch anything and use a good external/normal heater.

Sledman? It's probably cold out isn't it? Try warming the engine up with your wife's hair dryer first.....hehe...Also keep in mind that cold air is more dense, which means you need plenty of fuel to mix with it. Never lean your needles to get the engine warm. If it's not warming up you may have to wrap the cooling head with something to help it retain heat.

Once an engine starts an stays running in that weather ,it should warm up on its own ,
it aint like its going to stay frozen!...:cool:

Once an engine starts an stays running in that weather ,it should warm up on its own ,
it aint like its going to stay frozen!...:cool:

I have plenty of experience with cold weather running, they will not warm up if you can get it to run rich enough.
It's never good to rip a nitro engine at less than 150 degrees, or as low as 100 when it's freezing out.