revo rock crusher project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXTREME1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i started a project bout a month ago and so far this is what i've done so far:

imex k-rock tires
spooded rearend
forward only conv.
14t cb/54t spur gear (w/mods.)
close ratio trany gears
33% fuel
all cv driveshafts
temp gauge
rebuilt shocks 50w oil w/upgraded valving and springs

it worked relly good last few time out.it was climbing at the rock pit great.made it a few spots that i didn't think it was gonna make it up.
will up load video later got to figure out this ulr stuff

So your "rock crawling" with a revo?

Great way to burn up clutches and motor.

+1, Alpine. Moving as slow as crawlers normally do, the engine does not get enough air to cool it properly. The amount of power needed means higher RPMs from the motor creating more heat. This also causes more wear on the clutch and the slipper.

Great way to burn up clutches and motor.

+1, Alpine. Moving as slow as crawlers normally do, the engine does not get enough air to cool it properly. The amount of power needed means higher RPMs from the motor creating more heat. This also causes more wear on the clutch and the slipper.

Where's your proof? In all of my "research" I've NEVER seen a single post/thread or anything else stating that a rock crawling nitro rig was a bad idea. If you want your clutches to last, go with a high quality set of Integy clutches. Throw on a supercharger with a K&N filter for some help on the low end, and a nice RD Logics rear exhaust (keeps the exhaust off the tires). If you want the arms to last, get the Integy aluminum arms, the rocks will tear up the plastic ones.

At first I was like "look at this ........ Ahhhh dudes got jokes!" lol

---------- Post added at 4:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:43 PM ----------

Also, there is a huge difference in flooring the throttle and driving on rocks, and rock crawling.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's also a big difference between a 3.86:1 (14/54) bell spur ratio and a 2.71:1 (14/38) ratio.
I agree that it's not the ideal truck for the job, but it's feasable for people who may not fully understand the whole "crawling" bit. As for clutches burning up, I don't see it being any worse either way you slice it.
The close ratio gears aren't helping anything though, as first gear is always the same internally.

Temporary fun is what your building, nitro rock crawlers are not meant to be.

Stick a small low voltage fan on it for engine cooling, mount it from the roll bar & run it off a seperate battery pack so the rx battery don't go flat to fast. Could probably even set up a temp sender so the fan only comes on when engine reaches a certain temp. The extra weight on a crawler shouldn't really be a problem.
There is also a heavy duty slipper clutch kit available for the revo that has double the amount of clutch pads, can't remember the name of it so will have to hook up my other computer to find the link as its in my bookmarks list on there.

all of you have good points.i just built this project to go out with my friends to the rock pit.(they all have the eletric crawlers)just wanted to show them how i think rock crawling should be.wide open,rock slinging action.if you watch the crawlers on t.v or youtube they have 1000hp engines and just let it rip at the bottom of the hill.thats all i was shooting for and it did not disapoint.

i can't get the video to download just check out lee jordan on youtube for the video's

Last edited:
all of you have good points.i just built this project to go out with my friends to the rock pit.(they all have the eletric crawlers)just wanted to show them how i think rock crawling should be.wide open,rock slinging action.if you watch the crawlers on t.v or youtube they have 1000hp engines and just let it rip at the bottom of the hill.thats all i was shooting for and it did not disapoint.

i can't get the video to download just check out lee jordan on youtube for the video's

Your making a costly mistake friend, sure you get to run her 4-6 times, but you will run your rig into the ground very quickly no matter how lean or rich it is despite what this post says above mine^^..

Electric rock crawlers arent gutless on the rocks, lower turned motors with the right programmed esc can imitate ANYTHING 1:1. Just giving you the right advice to stear clear of this future disaster of your next thread "rebuilding my nitro rock crawler"...

And if you do run it rich enough to the point of keeping temps good, you will NOT have any low throttle response and torque you need and will just bog out and make it pointless. Oh, and I better throw this in, nitros have ZERO low throttle response with the needed torque in the crawling side of this hobby...

Last edited:
Although not the best for crawling, a nitro engine can be tuned & geared effectively enough so it does not overheat and still produce decent power/torque even without a cooling fan.
No, not anything close to what a decent electric motor can produce, but to say it can’t be done with decent results is preposterous.