revo modification

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francois

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hi..I see de sugestion of modification you give in this site ,like cut 3/8 of the flange of the exaust manifault,the motor saver air filter modification and turning the carburator a litle bit conterclockwise.I see you gave this modification for the revo 2.5 motor. can you tell me if this mod will works on a 3.3 motor to.And please can you tell me if you tink this kind of modification can ben more hard on my motor.
tank you..

caio francois!! the manifold on the 2.5 and the 3.3 are the same so cutting the flange would be the same simple task.. The motor saver air filter is a direct drop on peice. you can leave it alone or fix it to the air filter neck that comes standard on the revo, which will be more difficult.. and as for turning the carb if it is not binding up and it opens 100% percent leave it alone..

yea francois i told you it is all the same.. everything on that page you can do to the 3.3 as well. go ahead and try it out.

To be honest, I didn't really notice any improvment in performance by cutting the flange. It will help with headers snapping though as it puts a larger gap between the end of the header and the end of the pipe. So, when you land hard, the rubber coupler flexes more.

With that in mind, I'd ditch the stock header and go for the new spring mounted one. If you do break yours, don't even give it a second thought. Get the spring mounted one. I went through 4 stock revo headers (not a single one from direct impact) within a matter of months.

Here's a link to the header and gasket/spring:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUTG4&P=ML
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUTF5&P=M

Odd that for $18, traxxas doesn't include a gasket and spring... nickel and dimers... At least they finally recognized the weakness. Now if they would just make one for the maxx.

Last edited:
I've gone through 3 or 4 headers and finally upgraded to the spring and gasket seal style with a side pipe and love it. i did that a year and a half ago and only replaced a seal one time. i run it with 2 springs and it always keeps a good seal. isn't the PE header a spring style? i think it is and that would be a great upgrade. also if you upgrade to a rear wing it will take more of the hit and have a little give to it lessening the blow to the rear.