revo/lrp clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamdude

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
can the Savage 3 shoe clutch and flywheel setup work in the revo with a LRP.28 ? i am currently using the stock traxxas setup (2 shoe clutch with stock flywheel) cannot afford the Buku clutch just yet ,trying to see if there is a cheaper route thats better than the stock setup. I know nothing compares to the buku but the funds are low and my friend has a savage sitting

It should. I'm running a losi 8ight 2.0 clutch in mine.

A mate shredded a buku very quickly with his picco .26.

Losi 8eight clutch works.

do i use the revo clutch bell or do i use the savage bell and if i am to use the savage clutch bell is it the same pitch as the revo spur

Savage bell is the same pitch, 1/8 scale, M1 I think is what it's called.

I run a savage flywheel/bell/clutch on mine, but I had to move the trans forward about 1/4". I slotted the holes for the trans, cut a bit out of the brake area with a dremel, got everything lined up and installed, then drilled 2 holes through the chassis/trans flange so I could key the trans to the chassis with a nut and bolt. I didn't trust the 4 trans screws keeping it from moving around.

I run the same when I use a small block as well. Just had to get a crank extender so the 1/8th clutch setup would fit on a SB length crank.

Traxxas clutches never lasted long for me. I used one for about a month (1/2 gallon) and the slipping drove me nuts, so I did what I did. With a decent BB, it's pretty much a necessity to run 1/8 clutch setup or it just slips all the time... I ran an XTM24.7 and OS21RG in mine with teflon/carbon shoes and it did fine. As soon as my LRP28S3 was broken in, the clutch slipped a lot still, so I got 1/8th hard alloy shoes. Now it does really well.

hey Revo 5309,do i have to do anything special for the Losi 8ight setup to work? and is it a 4 shoe clutch ?

Yes it a 4 shoe and it fits right on. Your OK using losi 8ight clutch bells, but if your looking to use hardened steel clutch bells in more than 15t I don't think there is any specifically for the 8ight . I'm using an ofna and because of the 4 screw heads on the.clutch my shoes are exposed about 1/16 of an inch. Whenever I get around to it I'm going to face the front of the clutch and file.down the screw heads.

I got a 16 or 17t losi clutch bell (not hardened) for mine from amain. I personally dont think a hardened one is needed. i was using the stock revo cbs there for a while on the lrp28 and had no issues. these bigger clutches will have less stress on them, providing u have the mesh and bearings shimmed correcty so theres no drag. Also make sure u have a shim or two between the motor and flywheel and u may also need a few between the shoes and the clutch bell otherwise the bolt heads holding the pads in will touch the cb and cause un wanted friction/heat.

Last edited:
Well I got a Robinson Racing steel spur so I went with a hardened clutch bell to avoid any problems.

I'd rather distroy 10 2$ plastic spur gears than a gear box or diff or drive shafts. If u have it all shimmed properly there shouldn't be a problem

Your running a big block with a stock transmission and gears without any problems stripping gears? I know the stock spur probably would hold up if the slipper is adjusted properly, but I figure if get the RR steel spur anyways.

I kept on blowing apart the stock slippers, if I tightened it enough to stop it slipping all the time it'd tear apart the pads, if I ran it looser it'd slip badly & wear the pads real quick.
RR slipper fixed that.

Just a hint tho, if you run without the body often make a guard to keep dirt/gravel out of the slipper/bell - mine got chewed up by gravel spray, got a new one coming.

I'm going to try out a savage 19T bell & see how that goes.

I use a modified break pad instead of slipper pads on my revo. I think it was an old (2.5) t-maxx brake disk. I had to round out the bolt holes just a tad to fit in the pressure arms, but it works great. Haven't had the slipper apart in 3 years.

2010-0321-SlayerSlipperDiskFromTmaxx01.jpg

2010-0321-SlayerSlipperDiskFromTmaxx02.jpg

The slipper pad idea is good. Will look into that. But ATM my slipper is slipping a bit much but ill be tightening that up a touch next run

---------- Post added at 5:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:59 PM ----------

And still stock tranny. I just keep a spare of the gears. It's cheaper than paying 100$ for steel gears and make it heavier

Back