Revo 3.3 with LRP 32

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello!
Long time no see! I am building a big block revo.

I have
New Era engine mount
LRP .32 spec 4
RR Steel gears
THS Pipe

I am missing
A clutch system
A proper throttle link

But first problem first. Can you guys recommend a clutch that does works without any modifications i.e. like moving the tranny.
IMG_0906.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0909.JPG
    IMG_0909.JPG
    272.4 KB · Views: 273
Moving the transmission is best, but the new era mount is multi-piece and you can get longer screws for it with some washers to move the mounting blocks back 1/4" or so as that is all you need.

I can't find them anymore, but the dynamite max-life alloy shoes seem to hold up well on my 21TM revo. On my BB revo, I have the NE mount as well, but I moved the trans forward and run a 1/8th clutch/alloy shoes in it with an LRP28.

Find some 7075 alloy shoes. Integy used to make some, hot racing did as well. The max lifes worked well. They were all shoes to fit on the stock traxxas flywheel.

Could also throw some money at it and get a M2C clutch/flywheel specific to big blocks, big block flywheel nut:
https://m2cracing.net/traxxas-big-b...xas-40-mm-flywheel-kit-hard-clutch-shoes.html

I think this was for the stock engines:
https://m2cracing.net/traxxas/41-m2c-1095-traxxas-40-mm-flywheel-kit-hard-clutch-shoes.html

I think this was if you wanted to run a bump box on a stock engine, larger diameter flywheel:
https://m2cracing.net/traxxas/40-m2c-1095-traxxas-40-mm-flywheel-kit-hard-clutch-shoes.html

Hot racing 3 shoe with flywheel:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hot-ra...lutch-flywheel-kit-blue-hratrx100s306/p649990

i did buy the Hot Racing 3-shoe flywheel/clutch assembly for my wifes MMGT, seems to be holding up well so far but not a lot of use on it yet. it is installed on a small block .18/3.0 engine though, so not much help from me in reference to a big block installation.
i am running Dynamite Max Life aluminum clutch shoes on my LST (3-shoe setup not the 2 shoe traxxas style) and seems to grab really well.
i am definitely interested to see this build completed!

i did buy the Hot Racing 3-shoe flywheel/clutch assembly for my wifes MMGT, seems to be holding up well so far but not a lot of use on it yet. it is installed on a small block .18/3.0 engine though, so not much help from me in reference to a big block installation.
i am running Dynamite Max Life aluminum clutch shoes on my LST (3-shoe setup not the 2 shoe traxxas style) and seems to grab really well.
i am definitely interested to see this build completed!
Depending on which ones you buy, the shoes are thinner. The 1/10th scale shoes aren't as wide/thick as 1/8th. The max life's on my 21TM revo are their 1/10th 2 shoe replacements for the stock traxxas shoes, these. I'll be sad when they wear out... will have to switch over to an M2C 3 shoe probably as I got the truck used and it came with MIP center cvd's, so I can't move the trans forward... I can, but then I have to replace the cvd's with stock, and that's no fun. ;)

I ran the losi max life 1/8th shoes on my aftershock when I had it with an LRP28, gear swap and +2 pinion. I ran smaller traxxas 3.8" tires, but it was a screamer and pulled wheelies all day long until the two speed acted up.

Always wanted one of those MMGT's...

Depending on which ones you buy, the shoes are thinner. The 1/10th scale shoes aren't as wide/thick as 1/8th. The max life's on my 21TM revo are their 1/10th 2 shoe replacements for the stock traxxas shoes, these. I'll be sad when they wear out... will have to switch over to an M2C 3 shoe probably as I got the truck used and it came with MIP center cvd's, so I can't move the trans forward... I can, but then I have to replace the cvd's with stock, and that's no fun. ;)

I ran the losi max life 1/8th shoes on my aftershock when I had it with an LRP28, gear swap and +2 pinion. I ran smaller traxxas 3.8" tires, but it was a screamer and pulled wheelies all day long until the two speed acted up.

Always wanted one of those MMGT's...
Ahh figured there was something about the depth, I am curious though, i know savages typically have a very low profile flywheel/clutch assembly, would that be able to shrink it up a bit? Or is it not low profile enough?
So far the mmgts have been really cool, I am scared to run too hard though as spur gears are hard to find. Might be able to modify another trucks ones, but haven't found ones similar yet.

I'm guessing those are 1/8th scale, so too thick from the back of the flywheel to the face of the shoe for a 1/10th setup. You'd have to run a 1/8th bell and move the trans about 1/4".

I'm guessing those are 1/8th scale, so too thick from the back of the flywheel to the face of the shoe for a 1/10th setup. You'd have to run a 1/8th bell and move the trans about 1/4".

Yup, they are 1/8th. Will a 1/10th fit on a big block?

The Revo is not anywhere near a 1/10 scale its bigger than a 1/8 scale..So I think a 1/8 scale shoe would be just fine..

It isn't what works best that's the issue, it's lack of room. The revo doesn't allow for the extra 1/4" you need to install a 1/8th clutch.

This is how a savage flywheel/bell look on a revo without any modifications:
2006-0522-RevoSavageClutchMoveTrans.jpg

That was my first revo and I got tired of melting stock shoes with the 18TM I had at the time. I elongated the trans mount holes and where the brake disk floats to move my transmission forward 1/4" or so to give me room to run a 1/8th clutch on it.

When I moved the trans, I drilled a couple holes to run bolts through (with a nut on top) to key the transmission to the chassis so it wouldn't slide back on a hard hit:
2006-0526-RevoSavageClutchTransBottom.jpg

The NE big block mount puts a big block crank in the same spot as the small block crank, so you still don't have room to fit a 1/8th clutch in there without moving the transmission. Well, unless you add shims to the mounting flanges on the NE mount, which I didn't want to do as it looked a bit janky and like it would flex more.

I did the same on my current big block revo. Although, on it, I'm using a mount made by a guy on this forum as he gave me a free one for loaning him my big block mount so he could make them:
2013-0517-Racer1966-RevoBBMount-THSPipe-CustomHeaderSide02.jpg

It's a solid mount vs adjustable like the NE one. Still, I have the trans moved forward 1/4" or so and I'm running a savage flywheel/bell/alloy shoes on it. I've since redone the header a little bit as when I cut/bent that one, it nearly kinked it. The THS big block header was intended to be used on the traxxas big block mount which sits a lot lower as it doesn't allow the use of any big block with a normal starter on it to clear the arm.

Last edited:
Back