Revo 3.3 issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy rider

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
I am at my brothers for the holiday. I brought a couple nitros because his kids love it. I noticed that when it switched to second gear, there’s a very audible click. Every single time. Is it likely the differential or transmission? I got no parts with me but, there is a lhs about 20 minutes down the road. There’s so much family here I’m not going to be able to take a big dive in to find the issue. Hoping to get a direction to poke and hope. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks fellas.

Welp, the revo gave up the ghost. It’s a tranny issue I'm guessing. Back on the bench when I get home.

Do you still have a reverse gear? I had a copper washer in mine get bent that I noticed when I tore mine apart.

For some reason all of the forward gears are plastic, I suppose something in their might have sheared.

That’s my guess as well. The truck rolls when I push it. I’m pretty certain it’s not the rear differential. Also, I didn’t think about this yesterday when it broke but, when it finally turned loose, the motor reved up because the spur gear turned freely with zero resistance.

I had so much going on with my brothers kids and 4 of their friends running my nitros all at the same time, I didn’t think about it at the time. Honestly, I was kind of relieved iit broke because I had my hands full. I don’t mind setting up my battery RC’s for all them to run and have fun. But, this place is a good 10-15 degrees warmer than home. Getting them all dialed in to the new area, plus staying on top of everyone, had me hopping. I decided to get it home and break it down to assess the problem instead of trying to fix it here. Too much fishing to be done to worry about that. lol. We caught a bunch. Filled this big igloo cooler by 8 this morning. 😀

Yes, I did away with the reverse when I was building it.

IMG_4491.jpeg

When you tear it apart let me know what you find I'm interested to see what failed on you. I haven't had any issues with my diffs, and it doesn't sound diff related to me either.

I could go for a cat fry right about now too, that's some good eating.

Yes it is. But, the striped bass in the bottom of that cooler are even better. 😀

I took the transmission apart today. It was shredded. Nothing had broken. But, the forward only gears were both shredded. I still don’t know why.

Anyways, I had a spare tranny for a build I’m going to do. So, I ordered a new forward only conversion and converted that tranny over.

Figured I’d update the thread with a pic and what I found.

IMG_4526.jpeg

IMG_4527.jpeg

That's wild, I know you can get metal gears for the drivetrain but eh. That's crazy.

That's wild, I know you can get metal gears for the drivetrain but eh. That's crazy.
This motor carb produces a lot of power. And, the last spur gear I put on it I tightened the slipper all the way down. Time will tell. If it shreds it again I’m going to have to do something different.

Good to know for future reference, I was thinking about yanking down the slipper. I'd probably be okay as I still don't have an OS11 carb in mine yet.

I’m not certain that was what caused the problem. But, it’s the only thing that makes sense. A lot of people run the os carb on the 3.3 and never have that problem. So, I’m thinking a quarter turn out after tightening the slipper all the way down should be safe.

You gotta remember too this car was old. It had been run till it was wore out. The gear life might not be an issue at all with the slipper set tight. I just don’t know yet. Time will tell.