Revo 2.5r Tuning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcb20

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Revo 2.5r Tuning (Now with new and improved problems)

I started a thread on the Revo section but it got jacked. I figured out my problem and this section is more fitted to the answers I need.

I have a Revo with a 2.5r and I'm having trouble getting it tuned. The car runs, but its a bitch to get started and once its started it doesn't like to idle or drop rpm's too fast. Stalls a lot when stopping.

It seems to have plenty of power on dirt/gravel/road but not so much in the grass. Its spitting fuel and smoke which makes me think its running to rich. But if I touch the fuel dial even a hair either way (richer or leaner) it shuts off and wont start back again until i put the fuel needle back in the exact spot.

But just to get it started I have to keep the throttle trim dial (on the controller) at the 3'0clock position, and leave it there in a high-idle just to keep the car running.

I'm not much of a mechanic as I'm pretty new to all of this.

Last edited:
Is your low speed needle at the stock location? It may need leaned a hair if it is. Remember to only make adjustments when the engine is at operating temp. Or as close as you can get it.

I would look at a possible airleak going into the motor. Have you ever sealed the engine? Airleaks reak havok with idle, tunes, and temps. Its a fairly easy thing to do and theres plenty of youtubes for it. Type in "how to seal an RC engine" and you will get plenty of info. IMO I would start with that and see how that affects everything else. It may seem like a daunting task to disassemble the motor but just take your time (and plenty of pictures of the steps) and you should be fine.

Wouldn't hurt to check the needles for damage as well. Make sure they're not tweaked and come to a nice clean point.

Hi, check your idle control if it is 1mm opening. And make it sure you have a correct glow plug for your engine and the fuel you use.

My low speed needle was almost wide open.. (still learning here) I leaned out the LSN and started making better power. I couldnt do much tuning yesterday since the car is so loud, I can't do much with it at my apartment short of running in a small circle behind my patio.

I have to get some more fuel for it and rake it back to my friend's place or back out to the park and do some more tuning. Seems I'm heading in the right direction now though!

Thanks for the help so far

your lsn should be "flush" with the side of the carb +/-. It s a good starting point anyway. Bigger ? is why was it so wide open? Did it back out or was it that way when you got the rig?

The car sat in my old room at my dad's house until recently due to it now being an office.. lol and i was going on 5 year old guessing as to what did what and thought for some reason the lsn controlled air flow and not fuel lmao..

i just found my factory tuning guide too!! its a dvd.

So I got the car running and idling and starting properly!!!! YAY!!

Transmission just seized...seized while braking and the car flipped end over end...

mother ******