Reviving old Clod Buster to rock crawler?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldblue

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have my old Clod Buster with an aluminum cantalever chasis- 4 wheel steering and an old airtronics radio/receiver set up. It runs FAST but will hardly climb over my shoe, when it comes upon an obstacle I can her the motors spinning, but no wheel movement. The turning radius is really bad(it was never a quick turner). What can (or should)I do to make this a better crawler. The motors run fast and the servos seem weak(?) Any ideas, suggestions or opinions greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0408 (1).JPG
    IMG_0408 (1).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 103
What size motor is it? How many turn is it? How many teeth are in your pinion maybe you could go to a smaller pinion and another turn motor. The older servos tend to get weak as they age so I would replace the servos.

It's been sooooo long- The motors say "Trinity dual reverse madness" motors- I guess I'll have to get into the guts of the axels to see what pinion etc. At this point I am wondering if this will do more harm than good(?) Plastic looks kind of brittle-

Hope So

Keep us up-to-date on your progress and include pics if you can

Thank you I sure will

Ok that should have a stock pinion gear 13Tooth.(gonna take a motor plate to reduce the stock pinion)... have you done the hub carrier mod where you trim the small stops off or down on that part.. Those big wide tires are gonna be the thing to change...Its always a challenge to repurpose A rc for other use than its Original 1. good luck.. servo now a days are cheaper than they used to be..

I think I'll take a look and I am NOT familiar with the carrier mod- where would I start? yup servos will be another start- any recommend for a servo? I have a couple 20kg servo I could use-

Back