Reviving my Nitro RC's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoNitro

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all, I have been running Nitro RC's for almost 20 years I just recently broke out all my old RC's they have been setting for about 5 years now. I have broke them all down and cleaned out the engine, carbs, replaced oneways bearings ect. ran new fuel lines checked for air leaks, put them all back to factory settings.

I am having the up most hardest time trying to get them started and tuned, always used O'Donnel or Byrons fuel. I purched 20% with 11% oil but have ran 25% with 12% oil. with OS #8 medium glo plugs what should I try next?

make sure glow plug igniter is working correctly,,, use trim setting on th to add a little throttle.. make sure onboard battery is working.check servo movement. I'm unsure as how to advise you on os #8 not sure if its correct or not.. u might need a hotter plug..?

Glow plugs as long as they work won't make a difference on getting them started. The different numbers are heat ranges to help adjust how hot the engine runs with the different nitro/oil contents.

I am assuming the engines still have good pinch/compression?
How old is the fuel? Age isn't always a problem if the storage conditions are right. If in doubt, use new fuel. After you have a good tuned engine, then you can test the old fuel.

One thing a lot of people neglected to clean the carb by unscrewing the nipple and needle to make sure no blockage inside, I uses a wire to clean them.

Engines all have really good pinch, igniter is brand new as is the fuel. I will try cleaning out the carbs more, they have all been flushed out and stored with after run oil.